What's new
What's new

Free - Buehler metallographic mounting press

Jim S.

Hot Rolled
Older hydraulic mounting press. Fully functional but without any dies or molds. Possibly useful for a benchtop press with minor modification. Easily reaches 9000 lbf. 9 3/8" throat opening, as is. 65 lbs. Free for shipping from central South Carolina.
Jim

Buehler met press1.JPGBuehler met press2.JPGBuehler met press3.JPG

Ditto. Pretty sure those are for mounting specimens for metallurgical microscopes, one of which resides on my basement workbench... Nice of you Jim, 👍

Ditto. Pretty sure those are for mounting specimens for metallurgical microscopes, one of which resides on my basement workbench... Nice of you Jim, 👍
Yup, there is a standard IIRC 2" dia mold (heated) and you use bakelite pellets, or some thermosetting compound.
Should work well for precision waffle making...:D

Well, it is Sugaring Season up here... :drool5:
Here as well.
Aluminum or teflon molds ?

Well, at 10K psi for a 1" mold, I reckon some rather dense maple sugar candy could be made. Maybe I should reconsider the offer. :)

DDoug is correct as to the metallographic process. The reason I recognized this press when I got it was from experience as a junior engineer in the 70s in a materials science dept at a large company. Around me were several metallurgists with a full metallurgical lab. Place a small specimen in the bottom of a small die, fill with a thermosetting powder, press to about 4200 psi, heat to set the powder, grind/polish/etch the specimen and it was ready for metallography and micro hardness testing. Old tech but simple and very useful

Here as well.
Aluminum or teflon molds ?
Titanium (Grade 2) all the way! Gotta keep the fluoro-nasties and Al-dementia initiators outta my maple sweets...

I actually paid money for one of those years ago, just because it was so cool. About once a year I have a precision press job which will fit in there.

jack vines

Back