What's new
What's new

Free Carbon Electrodes

Fal Grunt

Titanium
I have two large bins full of large carbon electrodes. Won’t bore you with the details or story, but suffice to say they need a home.

They are free for pickup in NE Ohio, (I’d like to keep the bins themselves) or I can ship USPS flat rate for the cost of shipping.

Attachments

• 6162046A-A0C1-4E1F-8C30-D30E52669921.jpeg
    6162046A-A0C1-4E1F-8C30-D30E52669921.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 63
  • ACE426EF-2E9D-4A53-87DA-72ABF77A7F04.jpeg
    ACE426EF-2E9D-4A53-87DA-72ABF77A7F04.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 62

Fal Grunt

Titanium
Message me your address and i'll fill a large flat rate box. Those are what.... $20-$25? Send me payment when you get them.

Fal Grunt

Titanium
Message me your address and i'll fill a large flat rate box. Those are what.... $20-$25? Send me payment when you get them.

AD Design

Stainless
I always liked using graphite to check the geometry in a dressed grinder wheel profile with the optical comparator. Nice black profile, non reflective surface, doesn't wear the wheel profile, quick/easy grind that doesn't heat up (much) from grinding. An inexpensive way to check the wheel geometry before taking a chance in the expensive work-piece. If you use a surface grinder you ought to take up Mr. Grunts' generous offer with a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope), a couple of pieces in the toolchest doesn't take up much room. Just a suggestion to those in the daily grind.

Fal Grunt

Titanium
I always liked using graphite to check the geometry in a dressed grinder wheel profile with the optical comparator. Nice black profile, non reflective surface, doesn't wear the wheel profile, quick/easy grind that doesn't heat up (much) from grinding. An inexpensive way to check the wheel geometry before taking a chance in the expensive work-piece. If you use a surface grinder you ought to take up Mr. Grunts' generous offer with a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope), a couple of pieces in the toolchest doesn't take up much room. Just a suggestion to those in the daily grind.
I ground carbon plates for a powdered metal press one summer. I came home every day black as a coal miner. Even with a respirator that crap filled your nose and you could taste it for days. Even with a dust collector it made a layer over the entire shop.

You have a great idea, but frankly if I never grind another piece of carbon, I'll die a happy man, and maybe a day later.

jkopel and gbent, your boxes will go out early next week.

AD Design

Stainless
I ground carbon plates for a powdered metal press one summer. I came home every day black as a coal miner. Even with a respirator that crap filled your nose and you could taste it for days. Even with a dust collector it made a layer over the entire shop.

You have a great idea, but frankly if I never grind another piece of carbon, I'll die a happy man, and maybe a day later.

jkopel and gbent, your boxes will go out early next week.
-It does get everywhere, including the ways in the surface grinder and the respiratory system (not good). I always used a thin piece (1/4") and ground the wheel dressed profile on the thickness (1/4") so I could check the cross section for accuracy. I'd use the saw to cut out excess thickness when needed. Thick carbon pieces would sometimes have trouble giving a nice clean profile in the optical comparator. Making electrodes for the EDM was a nasty affair. You're right though, carbon is really bad stuff in airborne particles. Glad I don't have to do this any more either (retired for the time being).

Last edited: