What's new
What's new

friends dont let friends buy DMG/MORI products

empower

Titanium
I'm usually not one to burn bridges, but once in awhile you come across ones that are dangerous to your well being and goals. Those are to be doused with gasoline and sent where they belong.
Maybe if @dmgmori focused more on being customer service champions than 'productivity champions' they would get rid of the stinky, rotten stigma surrounding them.

this started 5 years ago or so when i helped out a gun shop get their NHX4000 going on making lower receivers.
the machine broke something new every other day. the techs were clueless as to what it could be, they flew in guys from japan etc, nothing worked.
got to the point where the owner of the shop filed a lawsuit and after 6 months of going back and forth they agreed to take the machine back and refund the payments they already made. a total pittance compared to all the money they lost on tooling, and mostly lost time/opportunity/contracts.

fast forward to a few months ago where the owner decided to buy an NHX4000... after i told him the story. the sales guy - dave in the picture below, took us out for lunch and i told him the same story and my concerns, he swore up and down that things have changed and its a different company now, blah blah blah.

well he bought the machine, the sales guy told us twice that he scheduled the install, nothing happened. i started chasing down people at DMG to find out, nothing was ever scheduled, so i set it up, they were supposed to do it before christmas, nobody came in, no call or email. i called and they gave us bullshit excuses and that they'll come first week of jan. that went by and nobody came. then they finally emailed me (at this point i'm no longer with the company, somehow email still showed up on my phone) that something came up and they'll be here next week. and thats where i unloaded on them.

fuck these guys, everywhere i go i'll tell everyone about my experience with them. prob wont do much in the big picture but at least i'm doing my part.
they have ZERO regard for the small shops, unless you're spending 10+ mil with them, good luck!

awhile ago i met a guy that has a small shop not too far here, doosan vertical and 2 GF mikron machines. we became friends, turns out he used to be one of the top DMG sales guys for over 10 years then went out on his own.
i asked him why he doesnt have any dmg machines, his answer was eye opening.
"i could buy any new dmg machine for less than half retail and have it within days. but theres no way in hell i wanna be stuck when something breaks on it, and its only a matter of when not if"

thats some powerful shit!

dmg.jpg

Your thread title literally made me burst out laughing.

I remember the complaints about the ECO line, I thought the Japanese stuff wasn't so bad?

maybe it isnt, but the service is the same for davis built crap as japan built. and it sucks donkey cock

I've said before, DMG MORI support varies wildly depending on where you are located. In high cost of living areas they can't hang on to good people.

They build good products barring a few exceptions. Davis built machines can be questionable. The Davis DMU50's come to mind...

Dropping Ellison was a massive mistake, because they (DMG MORI corporate) suck at running a service organization. It has been interesting to see GF has done the exact same thing with the same distributor. Support for Mikrons is essentially non existent in our region.

I hate middle-men as much as anyone, but it is really bizarre to see these companies fire their distributors even though they don't seem to have an actual interest in the service/support side of the business.

I've said before, DMG MORI support varies wildly depending on where you are located. In high cost of living areas they can't hang on to good people.

They build good products barring a few exceptions. Davis built machines can be questionable. The Davis DMU50's come to mind...

Dropping Ellison was a massive mistake, because they (DMG MORI corporate) suck at running a service organization. It has been interesting to see GF has done the exact same thing with the same distributor. Support for Mikrons is essentially non existent in our region.

I hate middle-men as much as anyone, but it is really bizarre to see these companies fire their distributors even though they don't seem to have an actual interest in the service/support side of the business.

you're not wrong. luckily GF support down here has been great. hopefully they get more people to take care of you guys. but sounds like frank took care of you at least.
the good feedback i hear on DMG is from big shops that have spent millions of dollars with them. they're making it plenty evident that they just dont give a shit about you unless you shower them with money

you're not wrong. luckily GF support down here has been great. hopefully they get more people to take care of you guys. but sounds like frank took care of you at least.

Frank is good people. He was here this week and got a ton of stuff fixed on our UCP600. Thanks for making that connection!

the good feedback i hear on DMG is from big shops that have spent millions of dollars with them. they're making it plenty evident that they just dont give a shit about you unless you shower them with money

That sounds like Mazak around here.

I second the regional issues theory. We have two dmu50’s with automation and they have been amazingly reliable. We’ve also had great service since day one (outside of Washington D.C. area). Granted they are gen 3 dmu 50s and made in the seabach factory in Germany. I had heard of the qc concerns on the machines out of Davis.

Unfortunately with most OEMs even when ordering parts you have to use the office that handles your region. Ages ago before becoming self employed quite often guys coming out to service machines would ask if anyone knew of any companies who needed techs that paid well. I worked at a place that had a lot of the same machine and the guys you could see were good techs rarely reappeared. They were constantly canvassing for a better paying job. Some OEMs think any idiot with a cell phone can be a tech as long as they have a smart people in the office to hold their hand.

Unfortunately with most OEMs even when ordering parts you have to use the office that handles your region. Ages ago before becoming self employed quite often guys coming out to service machines would ask if anyone knew of any companies who needed techs that paid well. I worked at a place that had a lot of the same machine and the guys you could see were good techs rarely reappeared. They were constantly canvassing for a better paying job. Some OEMs think any idiot with a cell phone can be a tech as long as they have a smart people in the office to hold their hand.

Good techs don't have to job search. If you have a good reputation, you are pretty constantly being recruited.

Everyone knows the first choice for making gun stuff is an A51nx. Second choice is an Okuma.

None of the outfits in the 50k+ per month upper/lower game are running DMG Mori.

I am relatively "little" guy and I have seen great service from DMG Mori. We bought our first used mori last march and the service and parts response I got was extremely good. I had heard horror stories like yours. I think this goes to show it really depends on who your representatives are and where you are located.

first off i think you win thread title for the year thanks for the laughs....unfortunately it doesn't matter if its DMG / Mori, Haas, or any other builder inbetween they all pump out lemons out of their facilities and they all handle them very similarly to all the horror stories I've heard first hand. Local machine tool office sends out techs n parts, repeat til they can't afford to put anymore time/money at it. They just hope the situation will magically disappear and go away. Like you mentioned it really puts a hurtin on small shops because of all the man hours and money lost by the time/if a deal is worked out to get some money back and get the POS iron out of your shop....

on a side note to piggy back off this title i dusted off a shirt this weekend to go to a packers party. in large letters reads FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BE PACKER FANS....always goes real well with the right crowd. i've got better things to do with my free time don't give two sheets about sports these days but o boy is it fun to get under the skin of guys that live, eat, and breathe this stuff for a living!

Back