What's new
What's new

FS But need information please

Walter A

Titanium
I am slowly attempting to clean out my storage and sell off most of the precision tools I own. I pulled out this Starrett Transit I purchased used for one job but not since. I cannot find a model number. If anyone knows, or can check an old catalog please let me know so I can put this up for sale properly with model number.
Thanks,
Walter A

I sure had a tough time today uploading photos!

Attachments

• Starrett transit (4).jpg
    Starrett transit (4).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Starrett transit (3).jpg
    Starrett transit (3).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 178
  • Starrett transit (1).jpg
    Starrett transit (1).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Starrett transit (2).jpg
    Starrett transit (2).jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 141
Catalog # 28: "Leveling Instrument-No. 101CZ". But search on Starrett 101C brings them up.

Thanks,
I did see the 101C earlier but different appearance scope. Maybe the 101CZ is it. If I dig deep enough I'll run across some of my old catalogs.

Thanks again,
Walter

For actual work, lasers have made optical transits obsolete. Optical require 2 people, laser only requires 1. Plus, the laser can be used as part of a machine control.

The Starrett optical levels and transits are pretty basic from what I've seen. Looking at sold items on eBay it would seem they generally sell for a good bit less than $200. I've got an old booklet titled "Use of the Starrett Transit" that makes it pretty clear they were intended for use by farmers and such for installing drain tile and other basic construction type tasks.

This is a level. A transit also rotates about a horizontal axis allowing you to look skyward or towards the ground.

I've used both. My mistake. I'm not sure what's in the Starrett catalog cause I can't find mine. I plan to list "it" for sale once I find my old Starrett catalogs and can properly describe it. I know it's now worth less than I probably paid for it. Doesn't matter.

Correct a contractors level not a transit. I grew up surveying for my dad and have plenty of time behind both but he mostly used topcon equipment. Transits and lasers total stayions have been replaced by robotic total stations which still use lasers and gps
FYI I went to use his old topcon level this summer and the focus gear was broken
There is no one that fixes these anymore, just calibration
We bought a new one made in China , I know, that was 400 bucks you can’t fix them that cheap
Thing is it is actually better than the 30 yo topcon
Glass is clearer, leveling screws are smoother and seems more accurate/ easier to use
That said that Starrett is a work of art and I’m sure accurate but I never saw a surveyor or engineer with one

Back