What's new
What's new

Full tear down and Rebuild of a 10EE Round Dial

You're driving a tapered thread into a cylindrical hole, so of course it gets harder as you go along. One thing that might help is to use a pipe reamer to remove some of the excess material at the large end. There are also interrupted thread pipe taps that basically have every other tooth removed to cut down on the friction. They're pretty pricey; it might work to grind off every other tooth to make your own.
Glad to see I was on the same track as you with my thinking today. Should have thought about it sooner, but I guess I have been a bit too busy thinking about how to get this mostly done before my upcoming surgery.

A few steps forward and a few steps sideways is the summery of today.
image.jpeg
I went down to our local hardware store, (Hardware Sales) and bought a better quality pipe tap, and a Large Tap wrench that will fit the pipe taps. My nice Starrett ones dont go that bid and a Starrett one is like $250+ Dont want to do that for a one of job. I put some pipe on the ends of the top handles and managed to get 5 threads fully cut, but still not enough. I clearly need to ream the hole with the correct tapper. My experience with pipe reamers is to debure the ends of pipe to prevent cavitation, and my large Rigid Pipe reamer wont work for this.
image.jpeg
I need a pipe reamer for cutting the internal tapper. Unfortunately, McMaster is out of stock, but I did find some on Ebay that look to be of decent quality for $25. Hopefully it gets here in time before I have my hand surgery next week.

It was way to smokey do to all of the forest fires here to work outside on sanding the drive end castings, let alone to paint. Not to mention my son woke up at 5 am puking with a stomach bug, so I got to spend most of the day on vomit patrol. I did however pick up two 16 drawer lists cabinets at an auction that I will have to pick up next Monday. I desperately needed the storage, but my wife is going to kill me when she sees what I paid for them.

Needing to get some space cleared in the shop, so that I can reconfigure it for the new Lista's I need to start to get as much back on the lathe as I can. So back to working on the access panels.
image.jpeg
The knobs for the access panels are held together with #1 tapper pins. To align the holes, I used a flashlight to backlight them to make it easier to see when they are properly configured. Since all of different I spent a bit of time sorting them all out, and then once they where matched up I reamed them with a #1 tapper pin reamer to clean up the bores. Its worth noting the cams are all the same, but the hole is drilled at a different height on it depending on the panel. The front panel has the holes the lowest on the shaft, and the rear its the highest. This accounts for the difference in thickness in the base castings for each of those locations.
image.jpeg
Tail stock end access panel is on, with the custom made accent pieces I made for it. I think this lathe is going to look pretty damn sharp when its done. Its nice to get a bit of a tease.
image.jpeg
The rear panel has two bent holes but Monarch has a second dummy trim and screen piece on there for "looks" I'm surprised they did that during the war, especially in the back of the machine.
image.jpegThe internal vent bracket gets screwed on with two countersink screws. I purposely left it the same original color the lathe was along with the DC control panel... bit of a homeage to the lathes original color.
image.jpeg
The two stainless screens get held in place by their covers on the rear. I replaced the screws with new Oval head Stainless ones. Looks pretty good.
image.jpeg

where are you man, up on the slopes, recovering from surgery?
I owe you, Cal and a few others that have reached out in the last month a response.

First things first the community here on PM is rather intimidating to join at first, but once you start posting, it seems the comradery comes out of the wood work with people that generally want to see you succeed in your project. @Cal Haines is a star example of that.

I came across the opportunity to buy a few 16 drawer Lista cabinets.
IMG_0172.jpeg
Going and picking those up from auction and reorganizing the shop took a couple of days.

I then had a medical procedure planed to fix a case of Duptrytens in my hand for several months. I was hoping to get he lathe mostly finished before that, but I was a bit too ambitious in my goals.
IMG_0100.jpeg
My pinky was stuck at 90 degrees and was at the point I could no longer get a glove on, which is super important to my day job of shooting skiing. I have had two previous surgeries on it, but it keeps coming back with avengeance. Most people do not see signs of the genetic disease till late in life. My dad is 80 and is just now showing signs. I am 43 and am now on my 3rd surgery. Turns out 25 years of frost bite operating cameras glove less in the cold isn't good for your hands.

I met with a local surgeon and all he wanted to do was amputate. I told him no thanks, as I am trying to regain function, and if I wanted to loose it I had multiple ways of doing that myself.

I ended up going with my previous surgeon and he fully opened it up and cut out all of the bad tissue.
68849975766__C2860CEC-D4CD-446B-92F9-B85F63A5C93B.jpeg
Those string cheese looking things are the nerves. We attempted a skin graft to see if we can keep it from coming back. That didn't work. The. graft was super painful and didnt fully take. 3 weeks out from surgery I am back at a 45 degree bend.

While laid up, and only able to use my left hand I figured it was the perfect time to organize the Lista's
IMG_0529.jpeg
IMG_0528.jpeg
Turns out 32 drawers is a ton of storage.

So the surgery is enough of a shit show in ones life to deal with. To further complicate things, the day after my wife of 9 years told me she wanted to separate. Within a week, she had moved out and filed for divorce. All I can say is there is no hell lower than trying to figure out when you are going to see your son, when your work has you on the road for 4~5 months straight.

If I had known what was coming I would have bought more Lista's at auction.

IMG_0357.jpeg
Unfortunately, the skin graft has not taken, so I am back to square one in that aspect. I think the next option is Radiation or amputation.... we will see what happens.

The good news, is I was able to take my son and his cousin up to the ski area for some time in the snow.
IMG_0469.jpeg
Dont tell my surgeon....
76B6D45E-7914-4515-9EFC-316C4348ED80.jpeg

I also managed to find a mine shaft in the ski area, so dragged one of my patroller friends in to check it out.

I am aways away from being able to really type as normal or use my hands for any mechanical operations, but what I do know is that I am an inherently happy person that loves my career and spending time with my son. As much as life maybe a shit show currently, it will all work out for the best in the future.

More to come with the lathe project once the hand heals up.

Oof, that post was one gun punch after another...

Very sorry to hear about... everything (other than the listas). I can't imagine how hard it would be to be in this hobby/profession with one hand. I'm a light stomache'd person for blood and guts, so I was ready to bitch at you, but you know.. there much are bigger problems in this world so I'll shut up.

Yeah. I don't know what to say. I'm glad that you can see some positive in it all. This thread was moving too fast for me to keep pace with, so I know you're a force of nature and will recover from this, with or without a hand and with or without a wife. I'm glad that you can still see some positive in it all and are enjoying the snow.

Really wishing you the best with everything right now. The lathe can wait. Take care of yourself.

-COB

WOW! Life challenges and curve balls! Keep your head up and get that hand back in shape! We all deal with our curve balls, some more than others. Hoping the best for you and yours through the holidays and challenging times!

Brian

Dang, that's a rough hand of cards to be dealt, no pun intended. Not sure what you can do about the family situation, other than keeping your cool and getting a good lawyer, but I hope you get the hand situation sorted out soon. That looks nasty.

I owe you, Cal and a few others that have reached out in the last month a response.

First things first the community here on PM is rather intimidating to join at first, but once you start posting, it seems the comradery comes out of the wood work with people that generally want to see you succeed in your project. @Cal Haines is a star example of that.

I came across the opportunity to buy a few 16 drawer Lista cabinets.
View attachment 380067
Going and picking those up from auction and reorganizing the shop took a couple of days.

I then had a medical procedure planed to fix a case of Duptrytens in my hand for several months. I was hoping to get he lathe mostly finished before that, but I was a bit too ambitious in my goals.
View attachment 380065
My pinky was stuck at 90 degrees and was at the point I could no longer get a glove on, which is super important to my day job of shooting skiing. I have had two previous surgeries on it, but it keeps coming back with avengeance. Most people do not see signs of the genetic disease till late in life. My dad is 80 and is just now showing signs. I am 43 and am now on my 3rd surgery. Turns out 25 years of frost bite operating cameras glove less in the cold isn't good for your hands.

I met with a local surgeon and all he wanted to do was amputate. I told him no thanks, as I am trying to regain function, and if I wanted to loose it I had multiple ways of doing that myself.

I ended up going with my previous surgeon and he fully opened it up and cut out all of the bad tissue.
View attachment 380066
Those string cheese looking things are the nerves. We attempted a skin graft to see if we can keep it from coming back. That didn't work. The. graft was super painful and didnt fully take. 3 weeks out from surgery I am back at a 45 degree bend.

While laid up, and only able to use my left hand I figured it was the perfect time to organize the Lista's
View attachment 380068
View attachment 380069
Turns out 32 drawers is a ton of storage.

So the surgery is enough of a shit show in ones life to deal with. To further complicate things, the day after my wife of 9 years told me she wanted to separate. Within a week, she had moved out and filed for divorce. All I can say is there is no hell lower than trying to figure out when you are going to see your son, when your work has you on the road for 4~5 months straight.

If I had known what was coming I would have bought more Lista's at auction.

View attachment 380070
Unfortunately, the skin graft has not taken, so I am back to square one in that aspect. I think the next option is Radiation or amputation.... we will see what happens.

The good news, is I was able to take my son and his cousin up to the ski area for some time in the snow.
View attachment 380071
Dont tell my surgeon....
View attachment 380072

I also managed to find a mine shaft in the ski area, so dragged one of my patroller friends in to check it out.

I am aways away from being able to really type as normal or use my hands for any mechanical operations, but what I do know is that I am an inherently happy person that loves my career and spending time with my son. As much as life maybe a shit show currently, it will all work out for the best in the future.

More to come with the lathe project once the hand heals up.
If there is a PM award for the most eclectic collection of photos in a single post, you have certainly won it! From super gross (closeup of finger surgery) to sublimely beautiful (Lista drawers and kids). Best wishes for a rapid and complete recovery!

Wow you have a lot going on. Best of luck.
I have to ask did you take the picture of them operating on your own hand.
It reminded me of some Sifi movie of some robot operating on their own hand. :)

Hal

I have to say that it was a bit disturbing, and that's after seeing my insides displayed a few times (mostly obscured by blood but still...). I have to have something similar done on both of my hands (Aseptic Flexor Tenosynovitis) but I don't expect that I'll be taking pictures, maybe I'll ask the doc to save a few.

Best wishes Dave for your health, physical and emotional. Do what you can to protect your son.

@GrantGunderson, what were these threads?
I want to say 5/16 but I’m not home so can’t check.

I was super busy with work season leading up to my Japan work trip last month. On the last day of that trip there was a big avalanche accident where we lost one of our athletes and a good friend of mine and damn near lost one of my best friends in addition.

https://mountaingazette.com/blogs/m...kier-kyle-smaine-killed-in-avalanche-in-japan

After dealing with getting kyle back home and helping his family with the logistics I took a few weeks off ( didn’t have time to work on the lathe. ) and am now in Taos for work. I’m planning to get back to work on the lathe soon as I finish ski season end of April and get my shop switched back into restro mode from ski shop mode.

I want to say 5/16 but I’m not home so can’t check.

I was super busy with work season leading up to my Japan work trip last month. On the last day of that trip there was a big avalanche accident where we lost one of our athletes and a good friend of mine and damn near lost one of my best friends in addition.

https://mountaingazette.com/blogs/m...kier-kyle-smaine-killed-in-avalanche-in-japan

After dealing with getting kyle back home and helping his family with the logistics I took a few weeks off ( didn’t have time to work on the lathe. ) and am now in Taos for work. I’m planning to get back to work on the lathe soon as I finish ski season end of April and get my shop switched back into restro mode from ski shop mode.
grant your a cool cat but remember a cat only has 9 lives ! so be safer out there !

Well it was a crazy winter for me to say the least. It's finally starting to wind down, so I can look at getting back to work in the shop for the summer. First oder of business is to get some organization stuff taken care of. Last fall I purchased two 16 drawer Lista cabinets.
image.jpeg
The plan was to use these for all of my small parts storage instead of the old Safety Deposit boxes
image.jpeg
And the large number of red plastic organizer boxes I was using.
image.jpeg
This will ideally give me more shelf space for when I redo the garage cabinets..... thats another project for another time.

The Lista cabinets can hold an insane amount of stuff in a very efficient matter. Each drawer is rated for 500Lbs! and they actually feel better with more weight in them. Plus the build quality of Lista makes Snapon look a bit under built.

I purchased a ton of bins from Schaller Mostly the 2x2 and 2x4 sizes to maximize the number of storage options. They also make label holders for the bins. These are what actually lock the bins together. The problem is they are only made for the 2x4 sizes and larger and wont fit the 2x2 bins without trimming.
image.jpeg
Since I had well over 500 label holders that needed to be trimmed, I needed to find an efficient way to do it. I ended up buying these Knipex hose cutters. The V notch in them holds the label holders perfectly.
image.jpeg
And the edge of the cutters is the perfect offset to place the label holder next to, to perfectly trim them to size.
That made. really quick work out of what would have been a very difficult task.
image.jpeg
Over the years of working on various different projects and everything from automotive to mountain bikes, to furniture building to electronics and machine tool rebuilds I have accumulated a stupid amount of hardware and various small parts. The nice thing about this is that I seldom need to stop mid project to go buy a bolt. When I do need to buy any hardware I always buy it in bulk.
image.jpeg
SAE on left Metric on right.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Back