What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 for turning...has it improved at all?

implmex

Diamond
Hi All:
I tried HSMWorks Turning back in 2015 and found it to be the biggest piece of shit known to man.
(HSMWorks for Milling was great, but Turning sucked donkey balls).
Now Autodesk has bought HSMWorks and made it their very own in Fusion 360, as everyone knows.

I have to make a CAM recommendation for a company that is buying 5 axis milling and 2 axis turning capability.
Problem is most of the users will be novices. (engineers, not machinists)

I'd like to recommend Fusion 360 for their milling because it's pretty simple and adequately powerful, but I know nothing about whether Autodicks ever bothered to improve Fusion 360 for turning.

Last time I checked, as of 2020 the complaints were still pretty heated.
Did Autodesk ever get up off their fat duffs and actually do something to address the user complaints or is it still the same POS it was back when it was still HSMWorks?

The other option I'm considering is Mastercrap...I'd like to stay with a unified platform if I can, and Mastercam is harder to get decent at in my opinion (I've used both) but the turning, although still nothing to write home about in the ancient version I've run (Mastercam 8 from 1999) is still a lot better than HSMWorks ever was for turning.

Which would you choose and why?
(My own solution has been HSMWorks for milling and FingerCam for turning because I use so many custom tools, and turning programs are all pretty small and simple compared to milling programs).

In addition, they want to get a Haas CL-1, and I understand it has a decent conversational control.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Idk, but you can get the personal license for free. No rapids, and kinda of grey area on legit personals use- as long as you do not do 1000 usd product you should be ok. This will let you know more than the week free trial that you forget about until day 8.

Again congrats on the new adventure- i might be jealous.

Marcus-

I use it here to some limited degree. The biggest advancement I've seen is the number of stock posts for multi-axis and mill-turn type machines. They also have models of a lot of machines in their library to set up machine simulation. If you have a company that can help with the post processor, or can do it in-house, then the capability is certainly there to program parts easily. Make sure they understand the template functionality. For families of parts it is a huge time saver.

Because I don't use it daily, there are still a lot of frustrations with "why TF isn't this toolpath generating? I want it to cut to exactly here, but it wants me to allow it to cut more and I don't want that" type stuff. I just end up hand editing those sections, usually. Setting up tool geometry isn't incredibly intuitive but again, I don't use it but a few times a year and then those programs get stored in the control and run over and over.

NexGenCAM is local here so we used them at the old shop for post development. Now I do my own post processor work but I'm losing money doing it that way. More of a learning experience than anything.

I still think Fusion overall has the nicest interface and workflow of any CAM software I've seen for quick deployment into a pool of novice users. It is certainly not a panacea.

NexGenCAM, the guys in Port Washington (was born there), lived in Cedarburg,

They used to be out in CA and Kentucky when they were selling HSMWorks pre AD days.

Charles Davis started it in San Diego,
https://www.linkedin.com/in/charles-davis-aa728834/

There are a few good turning features added to F360. Sadly HSM is abandonware now.

The Parting Chamfer is really nice. Don't have to make a separate groove feature just for a silly edge break.

F360 allows for a multiline code pass through. I use for bar puller logic.

The posting from F360 is nicer that it remembers the job details.

My shop is in Cedarburg. I grew up in Grafton and have lived in Saukville for 15 years now.

What's the name of your your shop?

I see from your profile your into Brewing, so I bet you go to Rebellion on the creek for a couple two tree beers, Dale is a good friend of mine.

Maybe when I come to visit I can stop by and see your shop, I'll bring my brother, he just retired from Strohwig Tool and Die in Richfield after 36 years.

Merry Christmas to you!

Hi All:
I tried HSMWorks Turning back in 2015 and found it to be the biggest piece of shit known to man.
Now Autodesk has bought HSMWorks and made it their very own in Fusion 360, as everyone knows.

I have to make a CAM recommendation for a company that is buying 5 axis milling and 2 axis turning capability.

I'd like to recommend Fusion 360 for their milling because it's pretty simple and adequately powerful, but I know nothing about whether Autodicks ever bothered to improve Fusion 360 for turning.

Did Autodesk ever get up off their fat duffs and actually do something to address the user complaints or is it still the same POS it was back when it was still HSMWorks?

The other option I'm considering is Mastercrap...I'd like to stay with a unified platform if I can, and Mastercam is harder to get decent at in my opinion (I've used both) but the turning, although still nothing to write home about in the ancient version I've run (Mastercam 8 from 1999) is still a lot better than HSMWorks ever was for turning.

(My own solution has been HSMWorks for milling and FingerCam for turning because I use so many custom tools, and turning programs are all pretty small and simple compared to milling programs).

In addition, they want to get a Haas CL-1, and I understand it has a decent conversational control.

Cheers

Marcus

i use fusion every day, and do a pretty good amount of 5 axis work. if its positional, i'd say go for it! IMO no other cam does positional 5 axis better/easier/faster than fusion.
turning is decent, i had no problems programming for a sub spindle, y axis lathe.
simultaneous 5 axis is still pretty weak, but getting better and better quickly.

Marcus-

I use it here to some limited degree. The biggest advancement I've seen is the number of stock posts for multi-axis and mill-turn type machines. They also have models of a lot of machines in their library to set up machine simulation. If you have a company that can help with the post processor, or can do it in-house, then the capability is certainly there to program parts easily. Make sure they understand the template functionality. For families of parts it is a huge time saver.

Because I don't use it daily, there are still a lot of frustrations with "why TF isn't this toolpath generating? I want it to cut to exactly here, but it wants me to allow it to cut more and I don't want that" type stuff. I just end up hand editing those sections, usually. Setting up tool geometry isn't incredibly intuitive but again, I don't use it but a few times a year and then those programs get stored in the control and run over and over.

NexGenCAM is local here so we used them at the old shop for post development. Now I do my own post processor work but I'm losing money doing it that way. More of a learning experience than anything.

I still think Fusion overall has the nicest interface and workflow of any CAM software I've seen for quick deployment into a pool of novice users. It is certainly not a panacea.

nexgencam is really good and cheap for post help as well as general autodesk product support, 700/year.

edit: shit, you already mentioned them. haha

What's the name of your your shop?

I see from your profile your into Brewing, so I bet you go to Rebellion on the creek for a couple two tree beers, Dale is a good friend of mine.

Maybe when I come to visit I can stop by and see your shop, I'll bring my brother, he just retired from Strohwig Tool and Die in Richfield after 36 years.

Merry Christmas to you!

Protohawk is my company, CCA Racing Products is my main product line. I'm right across the street from the old Amcast building. I used to brew at Silver Creek but haven't been in there since they built the riverwalk and Rebellion bought the place. My buddy owns Sir James Pub in Port Washington, which has more beers than any other bar in Wisconsin, and almost more beers than any bar in the US. Plus the guy is like a beer autist. I've heard the Strohwig name but probably from my days doing the science thing doing used oil profile approvals. I know most machine shop names in the area since we did pretty much everyone's waste water.

Now I need to go update Google with the shop location since I never did that when I bought the building LOL.

Protohawk is my company, CCA Racing Products is my main product line. I'm right across the street from the old Amcast building. I used to brew at Silver Creek but haven't been in there since they built the riverwalk and Rebellion bought the place. My buddy owns Sir James Pub in Port Washington, which has more beers than any other bar in Wisconsin, and almost more beers than any bar in the US. Plus the guy is like a beer autist. I've heard the Strohwig name but probably from my days doing the science thing doing used oil profile approvals. I know most machine shop names in the area since we did pretty much everyone's waste water.

Now I need to go update Google with the shop location since I never did that when I bought the building LOL.

Checked out your site, nice work! See your next to the Quarry.

The house and barn that are right next to the ball diamond was the Meske's place, 2 of my neighbors married the their girls, Betty and Bonney.

I have never been to Sr. James Pub, most of the time I hit Cedarburg places as I am only back for short trip usually during the county fair.

I use Fusion 360 for 2 axis turning on a daily basis and really don't have any complaints at all. Never had any formal training with Fusion and managed to get used to it pretty quickly. If I have questions, odds are somebody already has an answer question on the Autodesk Fusion forum, and they have been good about replying quickly and helpfully to questions I have posted. I can't say how it compares to the other CAM options, and my parts are typically pretty straight forward, but I like it well overall.

They made some really big improvements lately. They figured out how to properly execute the G28 command so it retracts X then Z........Baahhhha
I seem to find a new oddity on a regular basis with turning. My latest was that you can only drill in inches per minute and not inches per revolution and then I ran the part for the first time at half the RPM breaking my new carbide drill bit off. Yay what fun.

They made some really big improvements lately. They figured out how to properly execute the G28 command so it retracts X then Z........Baahhhha
I seem to find a new oddity on a regular basis with turning. My latest was that you can only drill in inches per minute and not inches per revolution and then I ran the part for the first time at half the RPM breaking my new carbide drill bit off. Yay what fun.

That is all handled inside the post processor.

Hi All:

Cheers

Marcus

Is this what passes for professional representation of company online up in Canada???

Doug

you'll get real far here with that attitude.

My attitude is one of fact. It's pretty surprising that now at least two of you have condoned the kind of verbiage and presentation I referenced. If you don't think this falls short of professionalism (thought that was one the things this board touted) then there is not much else to say.

Standing pat,

Doug

Back