What's new
What's new

FUSION 360 NPT THREADS

Micmac1

Cast Iron
So we use CAMWorks, but only have 1 seat. Sometimes in a pinch i need to used Fusion 360, which I do not mind, its fairly simple and tool paths are decent, especially for the price, However, could someone explain to me how Fusion will not let me model & cam NPT threads but has BSP, GB, ISO METRIC & JIS Pipe threads? I can quick code the NPT right in the control, so I guess its not a REAL problem but the fact that it is not within fusion just blows my mind. Rant end.

not the perfect way to do it, but very possible

Not being able to model tapered threads in Fusion has been a complaint since the first year it was available. Supposedly the taper is totally incompatible with the code that does threads. You also can't do custom threads. My fix is to insert tapered plugs where I want the hole, boolean cut, then threadmill the hole. Once you have the tapered hole the rest is automatic.

It does them just fine for holes.

Sketch points where you want the holes
-Create hole
-Hole Tap type = Taper tapped
-Thread type = NPT or whatever else.

Then when thread milling it follows the taper

I wish it would do male threads as easily, maybe I just havent found it yet.

It does them just fine for holes.

Sketch points where you want the holes
-Create hole
-Hole Tap type = Taper tapped
-Thread type = NPT or whatever else.

Then when thread milling it follows the taper

I wish it would do male threads as easily, maybe I just havent found it yet.
That is new, when did it become available?

Not sure, has been several months though.

Took me awhile to find it as I usually drew holes and cut extrude, then use thread command to add threads, but if you use the points on a sketch and the hole command it does counterbores and all that jazz in one step, plus handles NPT.

Yes this is for an OD turn OP for a lathe, turning the threaded end reverse, closest to chuck and parting off, face has a 3/4-10 thd which is cake. Threadmilling holes isnt a problem with fusion whatsoever.

Back