What's new
What's new

G-code variant or standard alternative for robot programming

Strostkovy

Titanium
Is there any improved G-code standard for robots? Or is there a standard code system for mapping paths? To my knowledge everyone uses their own proprietary standard.

I ask because if you are trying to trace out a circle for example on an arbitrary plane you either need a way to specify an angled plane or use sin moves, and I don't see anyone implemented a g-code for sin. It also doesn't allow for reduced acceleration moves.

Specifying an angled plane is dead simple in pretty much every robot language. Tilt your coordinate system. What's the problem? What's the robot?

There are people who make what you're envisioning (CAM for robots?) The term you want is "offline programming software." Like any cam system you'll be limited in the paths you can do, and you'll need a post processor available for your specific robot. One reason that CAM hasn't taken off for robots decades ago like you might expect is that robots are far more repeatable than they are precise. Set your expectations accordingly.

Specifying an angled plane is dead simple in pretty much every robot language. Tilt your coordinate system. What's the problem? What's the robot?

There are people who make what you're envisioning (CAM for robots?) The term you want is "offline programming software." Like any cam system you'll be limited in the paths you can do, and you'll need a post processor available for your specific robot. One reason that CAM hasn't taken off for robots decades ago like you might expect is that robots are far more repeatable than they are precise. Set your expectations accordingly.
RoboDK is a relatively inexpensive offline programming tool. We've used that, robotmaster (required mastercam), and NX robotics.

Back