What's new
What's new

g76 cycle machine issues

You're rather inconsistent with regards spindle speed and the data specified so that the control can calculate the Major Diameter of the Thread (for Male Thread). In your first listed code for the 1" NPT Thread you use S250 yet for the 3" NPT, you go to a greater spindle speed; normally you would decrease the spindle speed as the workpiece diameter increases. However. in both cases the actual surface speed is quite slow, particularly for the 1" NPT,

The Effective Major diameter of a 1" NPT is.1.2563". You will note that there is no reference required to be specified to alert the control of what the Major Diameter is. That's because it calculates that from the Minor Diameter (Male Thread) and the Thread Height specified by the following algorithm:

MD = X + 2P
Where:
MD = Major Diameter
X = Specified Minor Diameter
P = Thread Height in Radius (P value in the second G76 Block)

Therefore, from your listed code for the 1" NPT Thread:
MD = 1.1756 + 0.0348 x 2
MD = 1.2452" - Well below on the 1.2563 that it should be

The first DOC specified by Q in the second G76 Block is used in conjunction with the Major Diameter calculated by the control to determine the X coordinate of the First Pass of the Threading Cycle. In the above example, the Major Diameter is 0.0111 down on the actual MD, if the blank was turned correctly and so your first DOC (radius value) will be 0.0055" before the specified First Pass DOC is applied.

For the 3" NPT Thread, you have the numbers specified correctly for the control to calculate the Effective Major Diameter.

Regards,

Bill
Sorry about asking constantly. But I always like to make sure to get a second opinion on these tapered thread programs as I dont really need to program them often. But once I have them written I keep them and make several back ups. LOL. Thank You.

It's prolly not a big deal, but I wouldn't want to be in G97 mode when turning a tapered thread.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Machine will ignore G96 as soon as it enters a threading cycle. It will always use G97 for threading.

Machine will ignore G96 as soon as it enters a threading cycle. It will always use G97 for threading.
At my old shop which was a production shop I didnt write the programs. But we did all thread straight RPM. Even high taper threads. Plus I really hate programming CSS. I always get the values wrong and it runs like shit. LOL.

Absolutely what Sinha said. Its even stated in Fanuc Manuals to avoid specifying CSS. The following is a Copy and Paste from a Fanuc Manual:
Therefore, do not use the constant surface speed control during thread cutting. Instead, use G97.

Regards,

Bill

The 1" was for a smaller machine with a weaker motors so the RPM were slower. I do adjust at the control as necessary and then save the program. But yeah I used all the data from the Machinist Handbook for the 3" and thats going into a newer bigger machine that can run much better. Sorry for the inconsistency.
Its usually the case that the machine will be lacking Torque at low revs, so, in that case, using slow revs is not a solution; you would be better off upping the revs.

Regards,

Bill

Its usually the case that the machine will be lacking Torque at low revs, so, in that case, using slow revs is not a solution; you would be better off upping the revs.

Regards,

Bill
Yeah but that machine is strange. Its 31 years old. And its hurting. But usually that machine runs best at 350 doesnt like going below 300 it will actually stutter and go backwards

Regards,

Bill
I think once I tweaked it at the control I ended up running them at 425rpm where it did squeal or screech and no chatter. But they came out beautiful.

G97 RPM mode is strongly recommended when threading.
When I worked for a MTB we had a customer trying this in G96 SFM and it was destroying tools and parts.
I agree 100%. Im just having the damnedest time trying to these tapered threads done without destroying inserts. And it seems my first cut is always heavy like so heavy my shop manager thought I crashed the machine. LOL.

Are you turning the taper on the blank first?

You can add to the P in your first line to lessen the first pass depth.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

yes turning the taper on first.

Hello nissan300ztt,

The G76 cycle isn't perfect and there are compromises. but with a bit of trickery. most issues can be resolved.

Whatever value is set for the First DOC, each successive DOC will be diminished, relative to the First DOC by the control using the following algorithm:

DOC = SQR(N) x P
where:
N = the Nth number of threading pass - 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on.
P = Specified First DOC

This sequence continues until the difference between the next DOC and the previous DOC is less than the Minimum DOC set in the first G76 Block by the "Q" address. From that point on, until the value of the specified "X" in the second G76 Block is reached, the specified Minimum DOC will be used. Without setting a minimum DOC, the DOC would continue to be set via the above algorithm where the DOC would eventually be equal to the minimum programmable increment of the control; usually 0.0001" for an Imperial configured machine. This very small DOC has two major affects:

1. It increase the number of Threading Passes extraordinarily and therefore, the cycle time.

and

2. Numerous, infinitesimally small DOCs will have an adverse affect on the Threading Insert.

As can be gleaned from the above, the smaller the First DOC, the smaller will be all successive DOC and the specified minimum DOC will be reachedearlier. Accordingly, my advice to my clients, is to use a First DOC as great as the cutting tool and the work-piece set up will tolerate.

Irrespective of how large the Thread Height may be, the major limit on the First DOC will be how much DOC the insert can consistently handle. For thread up to circa 8TPI (or 3mm pitch) the system works well. However, with very coarse threads with considerable Thread Profile height, it would be a benefit if the First DOC could be set at a value that the insert could handle, but the value used in the algorithm for calculating the next DOC could be larger. You can achieve this by specifying a greater Thread Height than actual and I believe this is what Ox was referring to, but using the "P" address in the wrong G76 Block.

With a male thread, the control calculates where the Major Diameter is by adding 2 x Thread Heights to the specified "X". The first and subsequent DOC are applied to this calculated Major Diameter. In both your Thread Cycle examples, you have specified a very small First DOC; 0.003" in one and 0.005" in the other. These values are what I would use as Minimum DOCs, not a First DOC and it will take only one threading pass for the next DOC in your first program example to be less that the specified Minimum DOC.
On just about all threads cut using the G76 Cycle, I start with a First DOC of 0.020” (0.5mm) and work up from there. This DOC is one that most inserts will handle easily on a wide range of materials.

So lets say that the you’re cutting a very coarse thread and therefore, a thread with a reasonably large Thread Height. You have found that a First DOC of 0.5mm is about all that the Threading Insert will handle consistently, but because of the large Thread Height, the minimum DOC will be reached with considerable Thread Depth still to cut and the minimum DOC value has kicked in. The way to get the Cycle to only take the 0.5mm DOC you’re comfortable with, yet take larger successive DOCs than would be the case if 0.5 is used in the calculation for subsequent DOC, you can do the following:

1. Set the Thread Height at 0.5mm larger than actual.

2. Set the First DOC at 1.0mm

With the above values set, the control will calculate the Major Diameter as being 1.0mm (diameter value – 0.5mm in radius) larger than it actually is. The First DOC of 1.0mm (radial value) will be applied to the diameter that is 0.5mm in radius larger than actual and therefore, 0.5mm of the 1.0mm First DOC will be lost in fresh air and only a 0.5mm DOC actually cut on the work-piece. However, the 1.0mm First DOC specified will be used in the calculation of successive DOCs and the minimum DOC won’t be reached so quickly.

If you're experiencing a very large First DOC, when you have 0.003" and 0.005" First DOC specified in your program, then something else is going on that's not being shown in the program snippet you have Posted. Accordingly, I suggest that you Post the whole of your program here for the Forum Members to see, including the finishing cut on the tapered thread blank.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
I always wondered how to program the g92 with a taper. If you can give me an example I will be very interested to see how that would program. Thank You.
Following is the Format G92X(U)__ Z(W)__ R__ F__, where the "R" address is used to specify the taper in exactly the same way it is when using the G76 cycle.

The Thread that you show the programs for should be very easily executed with the G76 cycle. G92 is another way of cutting the Thread, but there is no solid reason to use G92 over G76 for the Threads you're cutting.

The First DOCs you've specified in each of your program examples are minuscule and think Sinha may have missed that point when making his comment. Make your First DOC much smaller and they won't exist.

Regards,

Bill

Following is the Format G92X(U)__ Z(W)__ R__ F__, where the "R" address is used to specify the taper in exactly the same way it is when using the G76 cycle.

The Thread that you show the programs for should be very easily executed with the G76 cycle. G92 is another way of cutting the Thread, but there is no solid reason to use G92 over G76 for the Threads you're cutting.

The First DOCs you've specified in each of your program examples are minuscule and think Sinha may have missed that point when making his comment. Make your First DOC much smaller and they won't exist.

Regards,

Bill
I emailed you the whole program like you asked. I just cant understand what im doing wrong. Unless I put something in the program incorrectly.

Back