What's new
What's new

Gallmeyer and Livingston no. 45 surface grinder

btm

Hot Rolled
I'm looking at purchasing a Gallmeyer and Livingston 45 surface grinder.
I know its an older machine, but the cross feed is approximately 12" and the long axis is over 26" which is larger than my current grinder.
The table feed works well.
The spindle isn't as quiet as most grinders I've been around, but I'm not an expert on grinders.
I have a few questions.
- Can someone provide feedback on the quality of these machines...are they worth buying?
- Is there a source of info for these grinders?
- Does anyone support these grinders?
- Is the spindle a ball bearing type or sleeve type?

Thanks

btm

texasgeartrain

Titanium

michiganbuck

Diamond
Gallmeyer and Livingston is a a world top class machine.. found in good shape likely nothing better.
but as with any grinder one need check it out.

I witnessed one that had run production with having two heavy chucks for many years that ran a convex top side part.. it had to be re-scraped, then was like new.
One good simple test is to lay a precision straight edge on the chuck to see if the last chuck grinding made a flat chuck. Blue it in, or set the straight edge/parallel on two blocks at each end and indicate the top.
take care the the mag-chick draw is not sagging the straight edge or parallel.. Chick it both ways cross and long travel.. and check it at the area least used like the edge close to you for long and for cross at the right or left edge.

Just running an indicator off the wheel head on the chuck does not tell flat.

Best to grind a part to see the spindle can get surface finish needs.
Check the free travel of the up/down travel, with over a half turn at about 6" up you may be replacing something some day

wood2steel

Aluminum
Btm, if you complete the purchase of that grinder, send me a PM. I hv a #45---65-A repair parts manual and a #25---65-A
Operating Instruction manual here that I'll need to send your way--- No G & L machinery here-----🤦
Good luck, Johnny