What's new
What's new

Gas shock lifespan in vibration

lucky7

Titanium
Looking at a Euro design for a homemade belt grinder (Phil Vandelay) and see he has spec’d two small gas struts for wheel tensioning. Wondering how long gas struts last on a machine that vibrates as much as a belt grinder?

Gas shocks seem like overkill to me. The Kalamazoo 1 x 42 belt sander just uses a spring and works just fine. Just press down to release a belt and let go to tension the new one. These are common in small shops and work quite well using a very simple design.

A gas shock has a speed dampening circuit on extension, something you probably don't want'

Thanks Digger, yup, I used wrong term in title.

Yeah, I like keeping it simple, and wouldn’t build a grinder with a gas strut, just trying to learn about something I know nothing.

Thanks Digger, yup, I used wrong term in title.

Yeah, I like keeping it simple, and wouldn’t build a grinder with a gas strut, just trying to learn about something I know nothing.
I have seen on higher priced machines, a simple air cylinder used to tension.

My 2x72 has a gas spring, gas strut, whatever you'd like to call it. Works a treat. It's got a couple advantages over a spring, namely constant force regardless of displacement (spring is approximately linear), and yes they do some damping which I would consider good. The gas in it will resist going from one side to the other the faster you shove it, so they can hold steadier under variable loads than a spring, which might make a difference every time the damn splice flies past.

As for the nature of that dampening, it depends entirely on the manufacture of the strut. Some have a constant bypass, meaning the internal orifice allowing gas to pass from one side to the other never changes, while others do taper down towards the end, making it harder to move in either direction near full extension. The amount of bypass also determines how "stiff" it is (but not the force applied, that's defined by internal pressure and difference between rod and bore diameter).

..."Gravity" makes a dead-reliable tensioner ...

I'm thinking there is wisdom in this for a garden variety belt grinder. With the idler located at the high point of the machine, I see a simple single-sheave pulley fixed above the idler, the rope going from the idler arm, up and around the pulley, and then down to a weight hanging in midair on the rope end. No springs; nothing pneumatic or hydraulic; cheap; easily and quickly adjustable tension; negligible wear; and by having a small shelf on which to park the weight when the machine is idle, static tension/strain on the rope & pulley goes away. Seems bound to work, although it is probably too primitive in concept to find its way into a production operation.

-Marty-

Although I generally despise gas shocks/struts...I will note that on my olde Honda Accord 4 cyl, they used a gas/hydraulic cylinder affair to tension the timing belt and it seemed to work 'forever'. I'd rather have a good old spring.

Back