What's new
What's new

Gear cutting and tapping cycles

Vlad_relic

Plastic
Hi all!
Facing a task (as an experiment) to cut some helical gears on a 5-axis cnc mill -DMU-70Evo- (specifically using a standart worm gear cutter) I encoutered a problem with properly synchronizing spindle and table rotation.
With spindle holding a cutter and gear mounted on a table it's nearly impossible to cut the same tooth twice although their respectful RPMs were calculated to match the number of teeth on a gear. As a result every subsequent pass is in a different place on a gear's surface even after if return to zero was performed: both for spindle and the table.
(To be clear: angle between gear's axis of rotation and Z axis is right, there is no slipping neither in cutter nor in a gear, direction of spindle and table rotation is right --- as far as I can tell)
My assumption is that machine is not trying to maintain a given RPM and slows down spindle rotation speed when a load is introduced. And then there is a thing called "rigid tapping" cycle - synchronising spindle rotation with feed for tapping purposes, typically activated with a G code like G84.
Is there a way to dissect a cycle like this to determine which code or macro inside it is used to achieve synchronisation? IS it achievable?
Any thoughts and insights would be appreciated! Have a good one!
Vlad

Back