What's new
What's new

Gear lube?

What is being used to lube the gears on a south bend? I had a spray can of "open gear lube" that I used for years. It would spray out thin and turn into a thick grease that took forever to fly off. When the can finally was empty my helper threw it away so I don't know what the brand name was.

This may be horribly wrong, but I'm using way lube on the open gears (not the gearbox). I oil them before each use. They're soaked.

Ryan

I believe that the main thing to be concerned with is that you do not want a heavy sticky grease type coating because of chips and swarf sticking to it.

AL

On my gears I use way oil #4
It hold on the gears for hours and not sticky like open gear lube and is clearer
The only place I have used open gear lube was press brakes

I'm running 140w gear oil on mine, about like molasses. It stays on the gears well when I'm running, then seems to drip off and carry all the crap with it. I just have a thin pan under the gear train, which keeps the mess down. I just drip some on before I use the lathe, along with oiling the rest of the thing. It's not a bad habit to grow either. Greyson

I have been using this stuff for about seven years now, it's made for open gears and works just fine and should last the average lathe owner close to a lifetime per can.
lube.jpg

This may be horribly wrong, but I'm using way lube on the open gears (not the gearbox). I oil them before each use. They're soaked.

Ryan

That is exaclly what I do. I just make sure a I have a rag on the tray beneath the gears to collect the drips from the gaurd.:D

Bigearl67 you might want to get some a felt wipers on that lathe. Not only do they keep a little oil on the ways they also act as a seal keeping junk out from under your carrage.

Don

Back