What's new
What's new

Gen Z in the workplace Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting read, I do think they have cherry picked facts in some ways. Their brains have definitely developed differently as shown in countless studies. I like the part about questioning the interviewer better to find out up front that your values don't align. I think every generation changes from the last, the hippies settled down or maybe were ground down from the high ideals of the 60s.

Unfortunately we all make trade offs, it's really hard to be idealistic when you've got bills to pay and mouths to feed.

Boss said to me when I started ......you will have all areas clearance ,and a clearance for anything in the back of your pickup going out through security .........now if you cant make something out of that,?????............he was talking about the refinery ,and free fuel to anyone with a magnet on a stick.........one drum of diesel was $300 at then rates ......and you can never stop at one.

Depression era and Baby boomers is one thing. Those before and after 9/11. is another. In my opinion all these other designations are not real. maybe cell phones and internet. Ask yourself when do they start and end, why that date? What happened to mark the change? Are the 1980's that much different than 2020?
Bill D

Last edited:
Are the 1980's that much different than 2020?
Yes. Social differences aside, I could not possibly do today what I did in the seventies and eighties and even nineties. Because of costs, the opportunities to be even slightly different, independent, free, grew to be less and less and less. 2020 is much more of a serf-master environment than the 80's were.

Depression era and Baby boomers is one thing. Those before and after 9/11. is another. In my opinion all these other designations are not real. maybe cell phones and internet. Ask yourself when do they start and end, why that date? What happened to mark the change? Are the 1980's that much different than 2020?
Bill D
Obviously technology has changed beyond what most ever envisioned years ago.
So has work ethic and dedication which just might be the root of many of societal problems that seem to negatively affect the workplace.
I guess the new trend now is for employers to be more nurturing and act as surrogate mommies and daddies(?).

Last edited:
Obviously technology has changed beyond what most ever envisioned years ago.
So has work ethic and dedication which just might be the root of many of societal problems that seem to negatively affect the workplace.
I guess the new trend now is for employers to be more nurturing and act as surrogate mommies and daddies(?).

I think there is a lot more to it than Gen Z'ers wanting employers to be mommy and daddy.

I have several friends who are in management, some who are in manufacturing, some who are not. Regardless of industry the one thing they all talk about is the utter F'ing stupidity of their upper management. It seems to me their upper management is like Hitler in April of 45, commanding divisions that don't exist, using numbers that don't exist, anywhere but on their heads or BS "metrics".

One of my friends was offered a director role, which they declined. They had no interest going up a level in management. Especially not after they had to pull the VP of their group aside and have a meeting explaining to them for the 32nd time, what it was their department did.

That same upper management, after mis managing the company, will fire a large number of doers, and give themselves a bonus. In example, a friend of mine worked at a large company, after a couple bad years of mismanagement and missing their numbers, which was directly accountable to upper management, they were given a list of people to terminate, nearly a 1/4 of their department, some of their best people, best performers, and as such, highest paid. The remaining 3/4 had to do the full work load. The VP of that group got a $15m bonus.

Why would you want to work in management and have to deal with having your legs cut off at the knees and be told at every quarterly performance appraisal that you and your team aren't running the race?

I think there is a lot more to it than Gen Z'ers wanting employers to be mommy and daddy.

I have several friends who are in management, some who are in manufacturing, some who are not. Regardless of industry the one thing they all talk about is the utter F'ing stupidity of their upper management. It seems to me their upper management is like Hitler in April of 45, commanding divisions that don't exist, using numbers that don't exist, anywhere but on their heads or BS "metrics".

One of my friends was offered a director role, which they declined. They had no interest going up a level in management. Especially not after they had to pull the VP of their group aside and have a meeting explaining to them for the 32nd time, what it was their department did.

That same upper management, after mis managing the company, will fire a large number of doers, and give themselves a bonus. In example, a friend of mine worked at a large company, after a couple bad years of mismanagement and missing their numbers, which was directly accountable to upper management, they were given a list of people to terminate, nearly a 1/4 of their department, some of their best people, best performers, and as such, highest paid. The remaining 3/4 had to do the full work load. The VP of that group got a $15m bonus.

Why would you want to work in management and have to deal with having your legs cut off at the knees and be told at every quarterly performance appraisal that you and your team aren't running the race?

Lately an Australian owned grocery chain has been pulled before a governmental senate hearing. The reasoning being how in a time of economic distress are these big companies continuing to achieve massive record breaking profits when everyone is struggling.

The management before the sense mumbled and BS’d their way through every question and had to threatened with contempt and jail time to just answer the questions.

I support business but some of these CEO’s are idiots and they will do whatever they can to blame anyone else.

What beats me is when I was a kid the worst neer do wells ,unemployed,drunks ,nuts......all had their own houses ,and around here on acreage ,and their kids were fed and went to school .The houses wernt flash ,but weathertight . I see a local history society describing the houses in derogeratory terms as shacks ,and temporary ........this is todays mentality ....every house must be a McMansion ,twice the size of a 1950s house.

What beats me is when I was a kid the worst neer do wells ,unemployed,drunks ,nuts......all had their own houses ,and around here on acreage ,and their kids were fed and went to school .The houses wernt flash ,but weathertight . I see a local history society describing the houses in derogeratory terms as shacks ,and temporary ........this is todays mentality ....every house must be a McMansion ,twice the size of a 1950s house.

"Back in my day, every lazy drunk could spend half his money on booze, and STILL afford a house, family, and acreage on the leftovers" but also "The problem is everyone wants a mansion now"

Uh huh. That's the problem for sure.

As shown by the Titan thread people give “influencers” a hard time. But think about how things have been the last 20 years. I am 36 and I grew up watching my parents struggle big time. My dad was the hardest working person I have ever met and he wasn’t paid worth a damn his whole career.

If kids have grown up watching their parents struggle that will influence them.

Many these days are giving the middle finger to the system, knowing the system will treat them like dirt and deciding to do their own thing independently.

Everyone complains that they don’t want to work. No they have learnt that they don’t have to do what their parents did, they don’t have to be treated like slaves and dirt. They can do their own thing and create their own path and give themselves dignity and a place in the world without having to be treated like crap by a system they don’t trust.

"Back in my day, every lazy drunk could spend half his money on booze, and STILL afford a house, family, and acreage on the leftovers" but also "The problem is everyone wants a mansion now"

Uh huh. That's the problem for sure.
Work like a pauper and get paid like a prince.

As shown by the Titan thread people give “influencers” a hard time. But think about how things have been the last 20 years. I am 36 and I grew up watching my parents struggle big time. My dad was the hardest working person I have ever met and he wasn’t paid worth a damn his whole career.

If kids have grown up watching their parents struggle that will influence them.

Many these days are giving the middle finger to the system, knowing the system will treat them like dirt and deciding to do their own thing independently.

Everyone complains that they don’t want to work. No they have learnt that they don’t have to do what their parents did, they don’t have to be treated like slaves and dirt. They can do their own thing and create their own path and give themselves dignity and a place in the world without having to be treated like crap by a system they don’t trust.

And they may git away with it, only b/c there are so few of them. Otherwise they would get walked all over and left behind if they lived in our world.

--------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

And they may git away with it, only b/c there are so few of them. Otherwise they would get walked all over and left behind if they lived in our world.

--------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

I am not surprised there are so few of them. With my current life situation, fatherhood would bankrupt me instantly.

So many things that make the world go round just outright don’t make economic sense in today’s world.

Back in the day ,State Labor controlled everything.....literally ,all farm produce was controlled by a board ...Potato Board,Onion Board ,Egg Board ,Butter Board ,and then there was the "Comittee of Direction of Fruit and Vegetable Marketing".............my old man used to rant about Communism ,but funny thing was everyone was happy.........And there were plenty of houses ,sure old and run down ,but freestanding wood houses ,and cheap rents ....Now in the mass stupidity of 2024 ,those same houses sell for $2 million and rent for nearly $1000 a week . Crazy.

The majority of Gen Z and most of their parents are loaded up on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds and are super anti-social and/or have a 10 second attention span, they can't handle pressure and challenges or focus on tasks, I heard enough stories about what's in our universities/colleges the last decade...
Very few of them will ever be management or problem solving material, they just crumble.

Thankfully we have robots/automation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back