What's new
What's new

Gen Z in the workplace Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing people say is “young people want to do everything while they are young” there may be some truth to that. I don’t really blame them though. I can write a list of people I know who never make it to retirement due to illness.

We could debate this all day long. But different generations value different things based on different experiences in their lives. For example I am very cautious but that is because of things I have experienced.

If everyone is a product of their upbringing than what is the excuse for the upbringing of todays generation?

A) "Live for today b/c I may not get old."

B) "Live frugally today so that I can be comfortable in my old age."

I am without a doubt in camp B.

I am sure that the opportunities on such a tiny island nation are limited, and one needs to find what he can stand to doo that is in the most demand. I would think that repair work would be of high value there, but I don't see how manufacturing as such would have a chance?

It really doesn't matter where in the world that you are, there are going to be dominate markets, and if you want to rise to the top, you need to find your spot in that market(s). Trying to serve a market that is not in demand in your area is like pushing a mule up a ladder.

-----------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

That Starbux coffee adds up quick from my vantage point.
Looks like many people will drop $5 on a drink. Once a day? Once a week? Twice a day?
That in it'self won't break most banks - if that is your only vice, but I'm gunna guess that those of us that are willing to drop $5 on a coffee, likely drop a few bucks over here, and more over there all in small item convenience. This does add up at the end of the week!

I have a kid working for just the month on a hot job. Kid is broke off his assets, and his string of life choices has already determined that this will not change for some time to come. Hopefully he can work past this all, but it is his cross to bear. Yet he comes in in the morning with convenience store shtuff and pizza place food.

I am sure that I am eating 2wiced as good as he is, at half the price ... except last night - when we ate at a Mexican restaurant in Goshen.
2 of us, and we left with a $50 bill on the table.... Pretty expensive Mexican joint. :eek:

-----------------

Last edited:
A) "Live for today b/c I may not get old."

B) "Live frugally today so that I can be comfortable in my old age."

I am without a doubt in camp B.

I am sure that the opportunities on such a tiny island nation are limited, and one needs to find what he can stand to doo that is in the most demand. I would think that repair work would be of high value there, but I don't see how manufacturing as such would have a chance?

It really doesn't matter where in the world that you are, there are going to be dominate markets, and if you want to rise to the top, you need to find your spot in that market(s). Trying to serve a market that is not in demand in your area is like pushing a mule up a ladder.

-----------------

I continuously need to clarify. I am not talking about me. My comments are regarding society as a whole around the world.

If I am ever talking about me I will specifically talk about me.

I thought we were talking about the younger generations not individual people.

That Starbux coffee adds up quick from my vantage point.
Looks like many people will drop $5 on a drink. Once a day? Once a week? Twice a day?
That in it'self won't break most banks - if that is your only vice, but I'm gunna guess that those of us that are willing to drop $5 on a coffee, likely drop a few bucks over here, and more over there all in small item convenience. This does add up at the end of the week!

I have a kid working for just the month on a hot job. Kid is broke off his assets, and his string of life choices has already determined that this will not change for some time to come. Hopefully he can work past this all, but it is his cross to bear. Yet he comes in in the morning with convenience store shtuff and pizza place food.

I am sure that I am eating 2wiced as good as he is, at half the price ... except last night - when we ate at a Mexican restaurant in Goshen.
2 of us, and we left with a $50 bill on the table.... Pretty expensive Mexican joint. :eek:

-----------------

There are definitely people who spend too much.

Everyone has a vice one way or another. I’m a horrible example. My diet isn’t very exciting. I live on chicken and rice haha.

I continuously need to clarify. I am not talking about me. My comments are regarding society as a whole around the world.

If I am ever talking about me I will specifically talk about me.

I thought we were talking about the younger generations not individual people.

No matter ... still applies.

Example, it just blows me away to know that some of us here are running machine shop's in California and Seattle!
I have plenty of trouble trying to compete with the yellow man from the corn belt as it is.
To think that these guys are somehow making a go of it there .... ???
But I get CNC West magazine, and he spotlights at least 2 if not 3 west coast shops every (2) months. Most of the time they are Mom and Pop shops too!

Obviously it is possible to doo what you like - where you like, but it sure seems to make it harder....

Like trying to run a Kinze dealership in Tahoe...
Again - just to make it challenging?

-----------------

No matter ... still applies.

Example, it just blows me away to know that some of us here are running machine shop's in California and Seattle!
I have plenty of trouble trying to compete with the yellow man from the corn belt as it is.
To think that these guys are somehow making a go of it there .... ???
But I get CNC West magazine, and he spotlights at least 2 if not 3 west coast shops every (2) months. Most of the time they are Mom and Pop shops too!

Obviously it is possible to doo what you like - where you like, but it sure seems to make it harder....

Like trying to run a Kinze dealership in Tahoe...
Again - just to make it challenging?

-----------------

How much does high tech industry play a part in the California deal?

They're not all running parts for Hughes.

---------------------

Hughes? There are like a 100+ machine shops just in the San Francisco Bay Area according to people there.

I could write a list of high tech companies just in the Bay Area. Apple is just one of many.

I am sure that the opportunities on such a tiny island nation are limited, and one needs to find what he can stand to doo that is in the most demand.

It's not that limited - NZ citizens have unlimited right of entry into Australia and full work access. Hell of a lot of ex-Kiwis here mainly due to economics at home.

PDW

But logistics Shirley adds time and $ both directions?
How long before you are not competitive with mainlanders?

--------------------

Just about every person I have ever met, from Boomer to Gen Z, who has complained they can't make ends meet, have 36 obviously apparent things that they could do to cut costs. I really have no sympathy for them.

Every single one, every single one that has complained, that I had an in depth conversation with, and offered to help them square away their finances, gave 1000 excuses why I couldn't help them. Not 1 accepted my offer. Every single one knew that they would have to make sacrifices and did not want to do it.

No sympathy.

I do however have sympathy for some people who have been so screwed over by our government that they will never recover, never have a decent chance at a life outside the slavery of the state system that they are trapped in.

Hughes? There are like a 100+ machine shops just in the San Francisco Bay Area according to people there.

I could write a list of high tech companies just in the Bay Area. Apple is just one of many.

My guess is that LTL from Carson City isn't all that terrible?

-----------------

Its only a short time ago all the financial experts were telling people to rent a house rather than buy,as that was far more cost effective
They still do, but you have to be financial literate, because the difference in the cost must be invested and compounded or its a bad deal if not.

"Why do you rob banks"?---"That's where the money is",,,,
Same with certain segments of manufacturing...Pacific coast is likely #1 on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back