What's new
What's new

General wheel recommendation

ECJ

Aluminum
Hi all-

We run a small B&S 510 surface grinder at the shop and I am looking for an all around wheel recommendation. We generally don't do anything very exotic with it, mostly CF 1018 and the like. It is usually more about flat and square than it is about final finish. Currently, I have a Norton 5SG46-JVS 7" x 1/2" wheel on it which seems to glaze easily and burn the work. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

ECJ

How are you using the wheel? Are you feeding small or large step over, small or large depth of cut? How fast are you traversing the wheel across the work. Too slow is just as bad as too fast, to fast it loads up, too slow and it does not break down. Coolant or not? How often are you dressing?

Answer the above and the people here can help a lot more.

Step over varies, but generally on the larger side, .250" or so (1/2" wheel). Typical DOC might be .0006" to .001". This is a manual machine, so traversing speed is difficult to quantify. We always grind dry with this machine. We always dress before running the part, but not so frequently during the grind operation. At that kind of DOC and step over what is the recommended number of passes before a re-dress?

ECJ

Given that the wheel you have is one of the best all-around, general purpose wheels there is, I'd suspect you're not dressing it correctly. It seems you might be starting off with a wheel that's just too smooth, no sharp edges left on the grains and/or the grinding dust from dressing too slow is filling up the face of the wheel.

Get yourself the correct style of dressing nib for seeded gel wheels, and be more aggressive in the feed rate for the dress. Make a .001" deep pass at a healthy rate, and most-importantly do not take a "zero depth" pass back over it.

Interesting. Good to hear on the wheel selection. We have been dressing with a 3/8" 1/4ct diamond nib, and while we have been making a 'healthy' .001" dress, we have also been utilizing a 'zero depth' clean up pass. I'll try eliminating that, and see if things improve. And what of the recommended frequency of dress during the grind? Since we do not have an over spindle dresser, it is of course tempting to run deeper and further without frequent redressing since it is so time consuming to raise and lower the spindle.......I'm definitely guilty of pushing things too far, both in terms of infrequent re-dress, and probably too heavy DOC. Gringing is new to our shop, and we have a lot to learn!

Thanks,

ECJ

We only have 1 machine we run dry and we use a 38A wheel for that as it is free cutting and friable.

Any time using SG where you can really be agressive any little bit of coolant will help.

Even a fish tank pump in a 5 gail pail would be sufficient.

Back