What's new
What's new

German Material, How does it cut?

Chip Turner

Plastic
I have a Part that i'm qouting and the material is new to me, would like to know if anyone has experience with this stuff. what SFM, tool life, inserts yada yada yada to use /expect? anything you can help me with would be welcomed.

the material is:
30MnVS6 i guess this is the new number for it. it was 27MnSiVS6.

chemical comp: C.26-.33, Si .15-.8, Mn 1.20-1.60, P<.025, S.020-.060, Cr<.30, Mo <.08, V.08-.20, N .01-.02.

Application: this high strength Mn-V-based steel is a low alloy high grade steel with good machinability for controlled cooling from working heat (BY-treatment, condition +P according to DIN EN 10267).<german designation.
Applicable for automotive components as connecting rods, axle journals and wishbones.

i have done research on this and i guess that there is some "Ti" in it. now, that titanium in it is going to keep the nitrogen molecules close and if there is any excess heat i'm thinkin it's gonna make titanium nitride. what's gonna happen when i cut this with a Tin coated insert?..LOL

I will be performing un-interrupted turning and boring on a lathe removing approx. .060" per side of cut. there is no undercuts or weird angles so standard WNMG 432 is what i expect to rough with on the od and id. will finish with a DCMT on the id due to clearance issue on the back id angle. the part is cold forged.

i've been googlin' like noone has googled before and i got nothin'. no cross-reference listed.
there isn't anything published on this material as of yet. i did get on the horn and talked to some insert companies they said it was similar to 4130 but more abrasive and has a tendency to work harden. that makes sense to me better now knowing that titanium could be added. not all 30MnVS6 has titanium in it, i found out that it can be added later per customer request. i don't have any info, as of yet, if this customer will be adding it. any info i have found doesn't specify the amount of titanium either.

this is probably gonna be a find-it-out-when-ya-cut-it thing. it just makes it more difficult to quote when you don't know how long the tool is gonna last or how fast you can go and stay competitive with all you guys.

Thanks Limy!

i'll check this out and see what i can do with it. when i actually get to cut this stuff, i'll post the speeds,feeds and tools i use to help someone else out.

Hello,

the key to success is a book called "Stahlschlüssel" or Steelkey, you can crossread any imagibale steel from all major steel producing countries in the world.
Be aware it's not cheap!
Otherwise this steel that your are talking about is tough, that what's it refered for yokes, etc.

Klaus

German material cuts quite, Staunchly, with much Authority, but Very Accurately.:) :)

I just had to. A little of my heritage. ;)

Regards,

Stan-

LOL Stan!

spoken like a true German.

well, it looks like we are going to get this part. won't know for certain for a few weeks yet. but, after visiting the customer they like what we have to offer. i have spoken with a few insert reps and have some tools to try. i'm not posting everything i have to try. will just post what works best.

thanx for all you help guys i appreciate it.

ok, finally have some time to respond to this.
speeds and feeds are mid-range, direclty listed on the insert box.
ended up using SANDVIK WNMG 432 MR 4225 TO ROUGH =100pcs per edge D.O.C ABOUT .050" A SIDE
finish with TNMG 332 MF 4225 = 200PCS PER EDGE, D.O.C. ABOUT .015 A SIDE
This is a high volume part around 250k per year.
hope this helps out the next guy.

Back