What's new
What's new

Getting a Monarch Series 61 Back in Service

Maybe you better get a artist in here for a real evaluation ! Between the two, the button plate bothers me less than the other one :)

My eldest daughter is in her mid 20's, and real artsy type. I had asked her opinion, before and after. She had liked the blue to begin with. And with after pics she liked it, and said it was "very atomic" age. Didn't mention either white plates. . . Success I guess :D

Hardener makes those paints more like an acrylic enamel in the shine and durability. Its good without it. A big portion of the lathe doesn't get wear and tear..
Be careful if you do decide to use hardener over painted surface painted with non hardened paint. Light coat first to get a barrier. If its had a good while to dry it may not affect it. Test on a surface that's hidden first. You may know all this.

When paint wrinkles from a chemical reaction and its hell to sand. Its a pain. If machines are used in production on a daily basis paint doesnt' mean a lot. Your shop and machinery will look good. That's taking pride in what your doing.

Now Yxxxr machinery needs their paint gun confiscated. Red headstocks on blue lathes. Dealers make more work by slathering paint on.

Any progress. Summer chore activity's slow my shop time.

Are you still excogitating your oiling system?

Last edited:
Any progress. Summer chore activity's slow my shop time.

Are you still excogitating your oiling system?

If I have to work in the heat, I'd rather not :D. Too much of that on regular basis. I got a/c in my shop so its more pleasant for getting stuff done.

I've actually been on a pretty good roll the past year, year and a half or so. Not all on this lathe, but I've knocked several long projects out. Of course it may have been me that those projects long, but hey, I do what I can. :D

I will be going through all the oil systems, including headstock, qcgb, etc , much like I've already started. But I'll get into that a bit later. I'm going to start a new thread here shortly on the rebuiding aspect, with scraping and such. So I'll come back to the other repairs when most of that is finished.

If I have to work in the heat, I'd rather not :D. Too much of that on regular basis. I got a/c in my shop so its more pleasant for getting stuff done.

I've actually been on a pretty good roll the past year, year and a half or so. Not all on this lathe, but I've knocked several long projects out. Of course it may have been me that those projects long, but hey, I do what I can. :D

I will be going through all the oil systems, including headstock, qcgb, etc , much like I've already started. But I'll get into that a bit later. I'm going to start a new thread here shortly on the rebuiding aspect, with scraping and such. So I'll come back to the other repairs when most of that is finished.

Maybe running in circles myself, lol. I'm trying to get my 612 functional so I can then take the CK apart and work on scraping the cross slide and compound on there, and turcite or such on the carriage. Thinking the 10EE will get reground.

I need to take about half of the 60x56 building and make climate control. It's either too hot or too cold. Machines sweat. I buy Fluid Film by the gallon and brush it on.
You cant work like that. I need AC and heat. Waited so long too build a shop and without HVAC it sucks.
I've been down for a few months. Don't get old

I'm going too put Getz ball oilers on the 10ee apron oil passages as an inssurance. The pump will work but I'm not real enthused / trusting about that oiling system. Its well thought out but too many places to fail and the consequences are serious. It needs too be exercised on a regular basis .

Looking forward too your new thread. A rebuilding thread on a 61 series will be helpful to other 61 owners. And interesting to us others

Chips A Hoy

I have picked up a 10ee as well. I will be separating carriage lube system from apron on that as well. If I was running constant 8-10 hour shifts on these machines, I might leave it hooked up as original, but I will never work these machines that hard.

I can hand pump or one shot the carriage prior to use, and not remove oil from apron. Probably make less mess, while still getting good lube too. I'll be gutting all the pop fittings too and removing about a hundred failure points, lol.

Still need to address the handles on headstock and qcgb. Did do fairly well in getting the badges, charts, etc squared away. A bit tedious, but its done now:

444.jpg 445.jpg 446.jpg 447.jpg

As I get older I find I really like more and better light, and bigger print :D. I also remember EG posting something along the line he prefers larger lathes. One nice thing with this, and larger lathes is I can stand back and read the tags.

For reference I stuck a 10ee thread chart up on the white cover to give you an idea:

448.jpg

I got the handles squared away. Also stripped the white paint off electric switch cover, and just bare aluminum now.

Here's a look at some of the pieces when it was apart:

458.jpg

With them all back installed:

459.jpg 460.jpg

As I mentioned previously, I'm going to be rebuilding this lathe a bit more than originally intended. As I begin to get into that I've started a new thread, and will continue it there:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-61-rebuiding-improvement-394486/#post3810732

Back