What's new
What's new

Getting the barrel off

tenmetre

Plastic
This one has me, I know this will end up me destroying the shroud but I would rather not. How do you get the barrel off a fully shrouded Alfa revolver, it is identical to this one:

Alfa01.jpg

There is no "Nut" or "collar" like the Dan Wesson Or Smith 327. The only way I can imagine this happening is a threaded rod or long bolt down through the barrel with some sort of special nut inside the cylinder area, pull the whole thing up tight, lock the tool in place and use it to unscrew the barrel? Or an expanding mandrel down the bore but I can't see this doing the rifling much good.

All suggestions gratefully received, yes I have emailed Alfa but no reply so far.

jmm03

Hot Rolled
could you machine a fixture out of aluminum that matched the barrel profile to clamshell it in a vice and then remove the revolver frame? Jim

GGaskill

Titanium
How about making a box around the barrel like a casting mold (cope/drag) and sealing the irregularities around the frame with modeling clay, then heavily wax barrel and frame (mold release), then fill to half depth with glass bedding compound. Once that has set, put mold release on the top of the hardened bedding compound and fill the rest of the way. This will give you something that will protect the parts yet let you get a good grip on it.

Gazz

Stainless
I have thought about using something like cerro safe in a way similar to the above process for separating barrels and receivers. Cast the material in place, remove the barrel and then throw it all in boiling water. Ringo bango your done.

tenmetre

Plastic
Just thought I would post this follow up. I removed the barrel by sawing through the shroud and barrel then the shroud slid off over the barrel. Once the shroud was removed the barrel unscrewed easily.
The barrel is clearly fitted once the shroud is in place and the only way this can happen is by using a mandrel inside the barrel to put the shroud under compression as you tighten the barrel using the mandrel, something I am going to have to make:

Barrel03.jpg

This shot clearly shows the flanged muzzle end of the barrel that grips the shroud, the flange (muzzle) end is on the bench:

Barrel04.jpg

wesg

Titanium
Looks like a Smith, but I've never heard of a model 3541 and never seen it stamped under the cylinder latch. And the flutes on the cylinder don't look anything like a Smith. Can't tell, but does it say 'Alfa Stainless' on the barrel?

His appears to be blued though.

tenmetre

Plastic
I think he's talking about a shrouded liner on this. Rumor has it SW uses a tool fitted to the rifling. The shroud is keyed to the frame for alignment.

They do indeed it turns out. Pic of the tool:

Key04.jpg

Key02.jpg

I made something along these lines but from a bit of EN24T and Colphos. the whoe thing pulls together and squeezes the O rings into the rifling:

Key201.jpg

Key204.jpg

real snug fit in the barrel:

Key207.jpg

Last edited:

BoxcarPete

Stainless
Nice work. I will also say that the o-ring trick works a treat even without rifling. We sell a square ring to a telescope eyepiece maker who does something very similar to snug up his eyepieces as a quick-fit. Rubber is largely incompressible so you can generate tons of force by squeezing it (literally - there are documented cases of thermal expansion rupturing overfilled hydraulic glands).