What's new
What's new

Gift for graduating machinist?

dasup

Plastic
Are there any suggestions for a gift for a graduating high school senior? He is already working part time in a machine shop learning to operate VMCs. I would like to get him some quality tools or gauges he might want to own as a precision machinist. OK with spending $300 or so. A set would be easy, but I could create one if needed.

Are there any suggestions for a gift for a graduating high school senior? He is already working part time in a machine shop learning to operate VMCs. I would like to get him some quality tools or gauges he might want to own as a precision machinist. OK with spending $300 or so. A set would be easy, but I could create one if needed.

Haas Tooling Has a nice little starter inspection kit on the haas website for about $350. Appears to be rebranded starrett tools, but comes with an indicator, 0-1" mic, 6" calipers, 1-2-3 Blocks, and some other stuff all in a nice case. I can not attest to quality as i personally have not used it but it looks like a decent quality little package for very reasonable price. Definitely a starter kit but i think its probably a good value until he can save up for mitutoyo stuff.

My dad gave me a 0 to 3 mic set when i graduated high school, i use them nearly every day. It was a stellar gift, and i am glad he sprung for them. Those have measured thousands of parts across my career and will do so until I'm gone.

A good cash alternative would be a gift card to MSC.

What tools does he already have? Odds are if he has been working for a while he probably already has a 0-1 mic, calipers, and an indicator.

Can never have to many 123 blocks though.

What tools does he already have? Odds are if he has been working for a while he probably already has a 0-1 mic, calipers, and an indicator.
May have a micrometer, but what about a thread micrometer? They are super handy and I wish I'd bought one years before I did, within that price bracket you're probably looking at something from Insize but that's what I have and they are pretty nice, the biggest issue is they don't come with anvils so at least a set or three for common pitches would need to be added and we don't know what kind of work he is going to do, more use for a lathe guy than a VMC guy though?

Realistically if he is working for an existing shop they will provide most measuring tools and may even require him to use their supplied and calibrated tools, in which case I'd look at other items, a nice loupe with different lenses and illumination perhaps? Or some of those nice ear plugs that you mould to your ear for better protection, things that will improve his quality of life while working and be better than what is being provided is the way I'd go.

A Starrett 0-6" half base depth micrometer set.

There are some tools that ALL machinists should own and a depth micrometer is one of them. The half base type is useful across a very broad range of applications.

What his his relation to you? Being gifted a tool from someone you respect will mean a lot more down the road than a cash gift today.

^^^ I could not agree more. No one remembers cash. He will fondly remember who got him a tool everytime he uses it.

Another vote for a precision measuring tool. Way more meaningful than cash or a consumable item, if cared for it will last a lifetime.

+1 for a quality measuring tool. A quality tool will last him his whole career and when he's teaching the yungin years from now and he gets it out he'll say my (insert relation here) got this for me back when I was starting out with a smile. I know b/c I've got a couple of those tools in my box.

1.5" face Interapid brand .0005" indicator would be my suggestion. I use mine all the time. I bought one for my brother when he was first starting out 30 years ago and he still has it.

Attachments

• Interapid.JPG
    Interapid.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 4

Back