What's new
What's new

Going from Fusion 360 cam to NX cam, where are simple workflow tutorials?

Wo-jack

Plastic
I am a machinist in a one man prototype machine shop. I mostly do one off prototypes, custom fixtures, and part modifications.
I have been using fusion 360 for over 7 years. I have the fusion cam set up with templates and tool libraries to make programming new parts fast.
Our company mainly uses NX and I would like to switch over to NX cam. I understand NX has built in tutorials and I have looked through some of them. However I wish there was a simple work flow to understand how to streamline programing new parts and create templates. I have been unable to find any good tutorials online. Am I missing something? Is there a basic workflow. A to b to c to d. That I am not grasping. Also my company does not want to pay for training time and expects me to just learn on the job as I go. But I feel this will bring my one man machineshop to a hault.

updatedsecurity

Aluminum
Hello.

The template process in nx is difficult and complicated compared to fusion. This video shows it
. When I ran nx I would just copy and paste the operations I liked into a blank document and then copy and paste them out when I needed to reuse them. This seemed to work. I would say that i really like NX compared to fusion as it was a lot more stable for me and code was great. Also their adaptive and deburring paths are fantastic.

There is also in NX a teach and find features function. This was something I never really used. I think the guy of the video above has an explanation

burdickjp

Aluminum
Siemens has extensive documentation and online training material, though it is often hard to find specific things in it.

Most NX resellers offer training. The curriculum is set by Siemens and the resellers just walk through the syllabus. It's not bad. Many will also gladly answer questions or help you figure out how to use NX to do what you're trying to do. They want your money, after all.

Areo Defense

Aluminum
I am a machinist in a one man prototype machine shop. I mostly do one off prototypes, custom fixtures, and part modifications.
I have been using fusion 360 for over 7 years. I have the fusion cam set up with templates and tool libraries to make programming new parts fast.
Our company mainly uses NX and I would like to switch over to NX cam. I understand NX has built in tutorials and I have looked through some of them. However I wish there was a simple work flow to understand how to streamline programing new parts and create templates. I have been unable to find any good tutorials online. Am I missing something? Is there a basic workflow. A to b to c to d. That I am not grasping. Also my company does not want to pay for training time and expects me to just learn on the job as I go. But I feel this will bring my one man machineshop to a hault.
I would start with the basics and work up from there so you can get down to programming parts and making chips. I agree with updatedsecurity, a simple way to start is to have a file with your common operations and tools set up. Eventually you will need to dig deeper with customizations but it will take more knowledge to dig into it. Start with the Day One tutorials first then look at the other tutorials. The latter will make more sense after you've viewed the Day One videos. You need to set up the basics before you start creating operations, the various views in the navigator are for specifying your part, MCS, tools, etc-. I can PM you...

empower

Titanium
like i said in your other thread. call up your reseller/dealer. they have the obligation to train you, show you how to use the software you bought from them.

Wo-jack

Plastic
Thanks for the insight. I guess I am just struggling to learn. I have been fighting to program a simple part for over an hour. Something that takes me 2 mins to do in fusion 360. Everything I have read says NX is far superior software. But for me Fusion is just so much easier to use. NX has so many must define parameters. menus and strangely worded interface. Example. I just want to do a 2D contour to clean up a wall that is curved to make space for a screw. Think of a counter bore except only a half circle. I am guessing that "Trim boundary" is what defines the line I want to machine but I keep getting error messages. Just frustraighted. Wish there was some sort of class aimed at Cam Programming.
As far as reseller I am having a hard time figuring out who that is for us. The problem is that I work for a gigantic corporation and my direct supervisor didn't even know we had CAD licenses. And tells me there is no time or money for any software training. So I just have to do it like this struggling on my own reading through the tutorials and are just not great.

empower

Titanium
Thanks for the insight. I guess I am just struggling to learn. I have been fighting to program a simple part for over an hour. Something that takes me 2 mins to do in fusion 360. Everything I have read says NX is far superior software. But for me Fusion is just so much easier to use. NX has so many must define parameters. menus and strangely worded interface. Example. I just want to do a 2D contour to clean up a wall that is curved to make space for a screw. Think of a counter bore except only a half circle. I am guessing that "Trim boundary" is what defines the line I want to machine but I keep getting error messages. Just frustraighted. Wish there was some sort of class aimed at Cam Programming.
As far as reseller I am having a hard time figuring out who that is for us. The problem is that I work for a gigantic corporation and my direct supervisor didn't even know we had CAD licenses. And tells me there is no time or money for any software training. So I just have to do it like this struggling on my own reading through the tutorials and are just not great.
you NEED to set up templates. i'm a huge fan of fusion for its simplicity and ease of use, have used it for years, and that was my gripe when i started with NX as well. once i took some time to build some templates, its no more complex or time consuming to program than in fusion.
reach out to your VAR and tell them you need help to set up templates. who is your reseller?

empower

Titanium
if you want to, shoot me a pm with your info, i can give you some pointers over a weekend, set up a teams/zoom call etc if you cant figure out who your reseller is.
where are you located?

updatedsecurity

Aluminum
Hello.
There is a tool path option that is driven by curves. Planar profile. You can also probably do the wall one. The driven by curves likes the curve to be at the top.

Trim boundary specifies what to ignore or whether it cuts outside or inside of a specified contour.

Last edited:

Wo-jack

Plastic
Ok, update. My company has a cooperate account to the Siemens Xcelerator Academy web site. I do not have access to the on-demand or instructor lead trainings. But I do see several chapters on CAM and templates etc... So I still say that my biggest complaint with NX is the paywall to access training. Fusion 360 has a ton of free easy to understand online video follow along training. It seems that NX has, "here is the book just read it" which is better than nothing. But it seriously feels like taking a class with not teaching or teacher. Just read the manual and figure it out and you must pay for the manual.

empower

Titanium
Ok, update. My company has a cooperate account to the Siemens Xcelerator Academy web site. I do not have access to the on-demand or instructor lead trainings. But I do see several chapters on CAM and templates etc... So I still say that my biggest complaint with NX is the paywall to access training. Fusion 360 has a ton of free easy to understand online video follow along training. It seems that NX has, "here is the book just read it" which is better than nothing. But it seriously feels like taking a class with not teaching or teacher. Just read the manual and figure it out and you must pay for the manual.
if you're just here to talk crap, it aint gonna go over well.
there are PLENTY resources out there, you gotta put in a little bit of effort just like anything else.

OVodov

Aluminum
there are PLENTY resources out there, you gotta put in a little bit of effort just like anything else.
Thank you,
I just started learning Solid Edge Cam Pro which is another name of Siemens NX.
More resources to learn from are better.
Most channels I found myself in YouTube are Persian or Indian which makes them hard to understand.

empower

Titanium
Thank you,
I just started learning Solid Edge Cam Pro which is another name of Siemens NX.
More resources to learn from are better.
Most channels I found myself in YouTube are Persian or Indian which makes them hard to understand.
np!
essentially, you can look up who are the big name NX resellers, and they all have youtube channels with pretty good videos.

https://www.youtube.com/@NCmatic/videos also has some stuff

Wo-jack

Plastic
You are right, did not mean to just talk crap. I do need to put in more time and effort. Thanks for the links. Those channels look excellent.

empower

Titanium
You are right, did not mean to just talk crap. I do need to put in more time and effort. Thanks for the links. Those channels look excellent.
no worries. like i mentioned above, if you want to hop on a teams/zoom call over a weekend, i can show you a few things as well.

number2099

Aluminum
NX is a great program and the training was great , but the mastercam guys are set in their ways,,same as the edgecam worknc guys