What's new
What's new

Good quality small lathe?

Hi mnl;
you wrote:
"I’m surprised no one has mentioned Monarch 10EE."

I have a Monarch 10EE...it's my BIG lathe.
It's a wonderful lathe and I'd be very sad to lose it, and yes I can and have made lots of tiny things on it and it works like a hot damn.

But the OP also already has a lathe of a similar size and is clearly finding it to be cumbersome for bitsy tiny work.
A little benchtop machine you can sit down comfortably in front of and stick under a microscope and drill your 0.010" holes with and turn your little 0.020" stems on your doomahickey with 10,000 spindle RPM at your fingertips is really really nice.

My choice was what it was because of two things:
1) I can buy almost anything you care to name for it, so if I want a watchmaker's collet in M1.8, I can get that and it's twelve bucks and I can have it via Fedex Overnight Air if I want it that fast.
The Sherline site is set up logically and is easy to navigate and gives me enough information to make a purchasing decision without having to go through hoops or talk to an idiot.

2) The stuff is of decent quality...decent enough that it's more than usable right out of the box.
I just bought a 3" diameter 4 jaw chuck for 150 bucks to go on a Haas TRT100 5 axis trunnion...where else can I do that?
I Fedexed it up from California and had it next day.
I checked it out, and I can clock in a 1/8" bar within a tenth, just like I can with my thousand dollar Buck chuck.
The runout 2 inches from the chuck jaws, is within 0.0003"...not bad for a hacker toy intended for the old codger makin' model steam locomotives.

Yeah, it's not instrument grade, yeah, it doesn't have cachet, yeah some of the collets in the set run out more than I'd like, but I knew that going in.
So I've been shopping there for decades, and they've been very good to me for stuff I use a lot, that's otherwise hard to get in these small sizes.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
Consider this your warning for discussing machines explicitly excluded in the forum rules...further posts on this subject will result in a lengthy ban from this site.

Juuuuuust kidding 😀

In the past I have used a 10EE, easy threading, and a Levin, no threading on that one. I currently have a 10mm Lorch LL which has a threading scheme as presented above. Each has been very useful for some small things and not so much for others. Having the microscope that could be mounted on the 10EE was very nice for things that were a couple of inches long as you didn’t have to repo it. You also didn’t have to hunch over the machine. The other two can of course be used sitting down,

if I was starting from scratch I might well contemplate the unmentionable.

Oh, for Pete's sake: Sherline, Taig, the older, cast iron Unimats; all are exactly what the OP is asking for. All will do small, precision parts, better than +/-0.001". With care, much better than that. And all will cut threads with the appropriate thread cutting attachments.

The Unimat is perhaps the worst of the lot and I have made many demanding parts on mine. And YES, cut threads too. It even saved the bacon when parts were not available for expensive, but older machine. Got it back on line when the OEM's answer was just "trash it" (RCA). And that job did involve threading.

But forget the modern rash of 7X..... "mini" lathes, that are made in China.

Ban me if you will, but if a machine gets the job done, then, IMHO, it IS, BY DEFINITION professional.

I wonder if you could find one of the little 4" Myfords ?

One thing for sure, I'd be searching for something with a plain bearing headstock. Those are so much quieter and rounder than anti-friction bearings ... in something little where you're not taking a heavy cut, would be on my priority list.

hang on, hang on ... you want nice ? we got nice

1_1.jpg

Several interesting-looking little lathes there, besides this one

Last edited:
Good morning plastikdreams:
You wrote:
"Consider this your warning for discussing machines explicitly excluded in the forum rules...further posts on this subject will result in a lengthy ban from this site."

Then you wrote:
"Juuuuuust kidding 😀"

You almost got me there...I even went so far as to look up the forum rules again, and check out who the moderators actually are.

I had a whole reply already written out in my head as I showered this morning, so I thought I'd share it as if you were a moderator and I was replying seriously to your post.
Obviously this is now all tongue in cheek! :D

So here goes:
I was replying seriously to the OP's question, and the solution I proposed is one that I am using in my own shop, which is definitely not a hobby shop (although I do treat what I do as a fun thing...but I get paid for it).
Yes, I know the forum rules, and yes I acknowledge that I broke them deliberately and wilfully; but I did not do it to piss anyone off or stomp on anyone's authority...all who know my posting history, will also know I don't engage in deliberate confrontation, but try to help where I can.

I noticed that early on, contributors were bending themselves into knots trying not to violate the forum rules with the unmentionable name...almost like trying desperately not to use a dirty word in Church.
It was getting kinda comical.

So I said it out loud, in the interests of communicating my points clearly primarily,...but also to comment on the ridiculousness of the hobble in this particular instance.

I get why the rule is there, truly I do...but there are places where it makes no sense to invoke it, and this is one of those times IMO.

So ban me if you must: obviously you have that authority and I cannot legitimately claim ignorance of the rules in my defense.
If you feel that strict adherence to the rule is worth more than what I've tried to contribute over the years, so be it and I will regretfully move on.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Last edited:
I made a lot of small hobby parts on my Emco Compact 5 before I got my Super 11, you really can't compare the two and with a Royal collet closer and 5C collets I'll do anything down to 1/16" on the S11 but I hung on to the C5 and do use it occasionally. It can do threads and has has a collet attachment that take's ER25's that can be handy.

A little Unimat 3 might even be a good choice.

Can I ask why your 12" lathe sucks at small parts?

Back to a non banned machine… ;-)

I have had a lot of joy with a Colchester Chipmaster. Hasn’t been made new for over forty years which is too bad considering it’s flexibility. 3000 rpm top speed for small work and feels reasonably comfortable there. Low speed as well with back gear. Just that little bit smaller than a 10 trouble EE so it‘s light and easy to run. But also enough mass and grunt that it can do bigger work than a Hardinge. Easy to vfd when the variator dies. Like em!

Wouldn’t try to put in an apartment or basement…

Good morning plastikdreams:
You wrote:
"Consider this your warning for discussing machines explicitly excluded in the forum rules...further posts on this subject will result in a lengthy ban from this site."

Then you wrote:
"Juuuuuust kidding 😀"

You almost got me there...I even went so far as to look up the forum rules again, and check out who the moderators actually are.

I had a whole reply already written out in my head as I showered this morning, so I thought I'd share it as if you were a moderator and I was replying seriously to your post.
Obviously this is now all tongue in cheek! :D

So here goes:
I was replying seriously to the OP's question, and the solution I proposed is one that I am using in my own shop, which is definitely not a hobby shop (although I do treat what I do as a fun thing...but I get paid for it).
Yes, I know the forum rules, and yes I acknowledge that I broke them deliberately and wilfully; but I did not do it to piss anyone off or stomp on anyone's authority...all who know my posting history, will also know I don't engage in deliberate confrontation, but try to help where I can.

I noticed that early on, contributors were bending themselves into knots trying not to violate the forum rules with the unmentionable name...almost like trying desperately not to use a dirty word in Church.
It was getting kinda comical.

So I said it out loud, in the interests of communicating my points clearly primarily,...but also to comment on the ridiculousness of the hobble in this particular instance.

I get why the rule is there, truly I do...but there are places where it makes no sense to invoke it, and this is one of those times IMO.

So ban me if you must: obviously you have that authority and I cannot legitimately claim ignorance of the rules in my defense.
If you feel that strict adherence to the rule is worth more than what I've tried to contribute over the years, so be it and I will regretfully move on.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
I like it, but it's a little short compared to your normal replies;)

I hope you were able to get a chuckle or 2.

Hi again plastikdreams:
Are you telling me I'm normally excessively verbose...is THAT what you're telling me??? :D

I'm crushed...truly crushed.
Yeah I can talk the ass off a donkey as my Lovely Wife likes to remark.

Once I unruffled my feathers, I did get a good chuckle out of your post...it was perfectly timed.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
I tried to sound official and purposely put the just kidding down far so as not to give it away immediately. I'm glad you were able to get a laugh, it's mainly what I try to do here...and moderate the edm section :)

God knows we need humor around here at times :D

And yes you make long posts...like thermite, only yours are understandable. And they are usually well thought out and include educational info too.

I have had a lot of joy with a Colchester Chipmaster. Hasn’t been made new for over forty years which is too bad considering it’s flexibility. 3000 rpm top speed for small work and feels reasonably comfortable there. Low speed as well with back gear. Just that little bit smaller than a 10 trouble EE so it‘s light and easy to run. But also enough mass and grunt that it can do bigger work than a Hardinge. Easy to vfd when the variator dies. Like em!

Yeah I have one too and I like it a lot.

But it's old and finding a good one is not all that easy.

Half the weight of a 10EE but still 2.5X the weight of a Maximat Super 11 which I also have. The Chipmaster is a relatively small footprint lathe but it's fairely massive.

PDW

Or the US version the Harrison 10AA. At 1.500 lbs., depends on the basement or apartment.

Hardinge DV59 with a Geometric die head. Can be found for under a grand up to $2000 with the cross slide and compound.

I get them for $500 or less when I dont need them or dont have room for 1.

Does anyone know if WABECO is still around? I did a quick search and found places that claimed they would sell one. The literature claims “Made in Germany”. I expect with parts of more dubious origin, but with suitable incoming inspection that could be OK.

The little Myford looks very nice. There were a whole lot of nice small, what I would term “instrument lathes” made back in the day, Levin, Lorch, Schaublin, Mikron, Rivett to name a few.

I will second getting plain bearing. When turning thin walled graphite coil forms it can’t be smooth enough.

My main complaint with Sherline is they don’t have a lever tail stock. I ran a lot or parts on the Levin a lot faster with a lever tail stock.

Weiler still making small lathes?

Maybe the OP will give us an idea of the budget and accuracy requirements....? And how small he considers "Small" to be!

There is always this one!

I have made a LOT of sub 1/4"/6mm parts on one, and can recommend the experience, provided you can keep from drooling on it, as you slowly lose your mind making the exact same part, again and again....

Back