What's new
What's new

Graduated Fine Adjustment Screw

Looks like the simplest and easiest way to me.

Screws like the ones you are presently using are usually installed in a fixed position with a nut or pair of nuts on them for the adjustment. I have seen this on a number of drill presses and other tools for a depth stop. Such threaded rods sometimes have a socket for a hex key on one end to be used in the installation but not when it is in use.

You have turned this upside down and are rotating the screw in a fixed, threaded block (the nut). This will result in the scale being out of view for at least half of each revolution. Apparently this is OK for your application but it explains why you are having trouble finding such a screw with a hex head. I suspect you will look far and wide and find little or nothing.

Silver solder a nut (maybe even loctite an acorn nut) to the present screwed rod???

Buy a suitable nut and attach it to the screw with red permanent Loctite. If you want a more finished appearance use an acorn nut. Once the Loctite cures, usually 24 hrs, you would need to heat the nut to 500°F to remove it from the screw.

Back