What's new
What's new

Greenerd arbor press stand mounting question

Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
I have a Greenerd No. 3 arbor press with the factory cast stand. It's currently apart for repairs, so I stole a photo of an assembled one from the internet to illustrate my question.

Does anyone know why Greenerd left a big gap in the mounting surface of the base, in the area where the two mounting bolts pass through? The casting is pretty thin there, and so (predictably) someone overtightened the bolts on mine and broke the base through the mounting bolt holes. I can't see a good reason for building the base this way... wondering what I'm missing. Thanks.
c0213c97ddbcef601c684cc508b5b7cb.jpg
e61bb804d6db57840b4ee3902bb35d58.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rob F.

Diamond
No idea why they would do that. Just be sure to add a shim on it so it wont happen again. I would set the shim plate on top of the stand and use screws to bolt it on either side of the crack.

Just a Sparky

Hot Rolled
I'm not sure why they did it, but mine's the same way - sans the crack. Might have simply been to reduce machine time.

As long as you don't smoke the bolts down on it, it should be fine once it's welded back together. Doesn't need to be terribly tight to do it's job.