What's new
What's new

Groove/part tool recommendations

Duc

Aluminum
Looking to replace 2 tools into one to remove the need to swap tools on a gang tooling setup on a haas TL-1 lathe.

Material: 1144 stress proof
Diameter: 1.5 inch.
Parting off when 1.375 inches.

Speed isn't a major issue for material removal but would like to avoid swapping tools if possible.

So far I've seen iscar and kennametal have tools for grooving and parting but looking for feedback. Prefer something I can pick up online without going thru a tool rep.

Kennametal: beyond evolution EVSMR160326C

Iscar

That material and that size, you won't have an issue with any major brand's parting tools.
Kennametal, Sandvik, Iscar, etc...

Seems to me your choice will be driven more by who has the appropriate space saving tool holders for a gang tool machine.

Seems to me your choice will be driven more by who has the appropriate space saving tool holders for a gang tool machine.

Normally yes but I will be using the tool on the far left or right of the setup. The hang out wont matter.
That material and that size, you won't have an issue with any major brand's parting tools.
Kennametal, Sandvik, Iscar, etc...
Order a kennametal tool. Ive probably spent more on making these dam parts then just buying them but at least tools dont expire.

Back