What's new
What's new

Grounding tranformer

rlong22

Plastic
Could use a little help with this trans former.
My shop has a non-grounded system and of course
now I need a grounded system.
A guy down the street has this transformer he is willing to give me.
From the diagrams I conclude that I can attach 440 volts to L1, 2, & 3 to #s 5&6
And out put to U,V,W, or X1, 2,& 3 and get 480 volts out and hook X0 direct to
a earth ground and this would be the same as a Zig-Zag transformer

Attachments

• TRANSFORMER 2.jpg
    TRANSFORMER 2.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Transformer1.jpg
    Transformer1.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 14
Nor did you even mention what the actual measured voltage your shop service measures, so that you can set the transformer taps properly, as there are seven to choose from.

Having a photo of the transformer internal connections as they currently exist could be helpful as well. Judging by a Japanese transformer label from 1978. That shows tap connections on the connection nomenclature, that are not shown on the connection diagram. Seeing is believing.

I take it that he has an ungrounded delta supply system, but needs a grounded wye for a new piece of equipment.
This is exactly what I am doing, I just want to know if the X0 should go to the machine or to earth ground or if this transformer will even help act as a grounded delta system. Having an electrician come in just did not want to pass on free transformer.

Most likely it would need to be bonded to both, your equipment grounding point and earthing electrodes.

You didn’t mention what your equipment is so we have no way of knowing what it’s needs are.

Post more information for better results. Were not always clarevoiant here.

Even more important is how the input voltage taps are jumpered together for the measured voltage input you have.

Last edited:

Back