What's new
What's new

Haas 1998 HS-1RP Troubleshooting(repost)

Now its just giving me the pallet not clamped error 180. I have the cover open and indeed the motor for the threaded draw bar is not turning or even making noise.

I run the m50 command in the mdi to get it to recover the pallet changer but it gets stuck when it asks for the part ready button to get pressed. it does respond by almost refreshing the page but nothing physically happens and its still on the same line of the program (O90000).

I can try to manually turn the draw bar but i dont think its physically jammed.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

Got it, the outside pallet wasn't indexed for the pallet changer. I also just realized I dont have the right pull studs for tools. so the next thing will be tracking down leaking hoses and fixing the tool changer error.

Thanks for all the help so far @Hoss710 .

Also, I made chips!

the tool release piston was sticking, so I greased it a bit, then it started working. the taper has seen better days, but it should be ok. I used a 3/4 3 insert cutter on some steel I had laying around, I bolted up my og bridgeport vise on the outer pallet and took a few cuts. I stopped the cut a few times to change the feed hence the spots.
c9e2db9e42977399064e173413cb4d84.jpg
b54d095b39570c49fca0e7d97586c8d7.jpg

Finish looks great!! glad to see you making so much progress in such short time ��

I bought this tombstone, the guy that owned the machine previously had it(not the scammy broker).

It came with a fixture plate and it has this speedloc system built onto it.
13496058e2446c370d2062672c65b29d.jpg
41ab7a06a3e3d391261da3f46d0f7648.jpg

Some axle shafts, but not to sell, just for my truck.

I mean cutting involute splines is no easy job. thats specifically why i wanted the 4th axis.I have some other parts that I can makeo too.

Got the usb to floppy emulator installed and working. I also mounted a 4 jaw I had to one of the aluminum fixture plates it came with.

I modified the "haas with a axis post" that fusion 360 has and got it to work correctly with the machine. I also was able to make the post output 5 axis code for when I add the other rotary.

Overall made a lot of progress as of late.

Im still stuck on the tool changer though, ive checked the fuses and they are intact. The next step would be to check the data cable connection coming out of the maincon.
64d44fdbf614aadaab6e01ba1c31bcd6.jpg
b587eeba558073a767c5d249af1986e0.jpg
ac1011e2ea5421127b7b9b8a64718f84.jpg

what is the tool changer not doing? can you take a picture of the IO board for me? I do know the weak link on the early tool changes was either crap in the soloids . and sometimes soliniod failure.on the very early machines they had a scree slit that would over ride the solenoids. if the s rew was turned in the wrong direction, and left in that direction. the tool changer would act dead. ( we had a customer that the operator wo do this on purpose so they didn't have to run the machine, and sit on theirs butts and collect a check)also if the solenoids were gummed up. sometimes wd40 would loosen them up. the way to do this is., kill ur air pull the oil line after the regulator and filter. fill the hose with as much wd40 as you can pump Into it. it helps if you hold the hose vertically to fill. then as quickly as you can plug it back in to the quick coupler. then apply air. and try and try to get the tool changer to advance and retract manually. iv you are having trouble with the carousel rotation. there are 2 ice cube relays that are know to go bad. they are cheap so just replace them. also there should be some large white resistors on the IO board towards the top right side. check them and there solder joints as they are what regulates the power for rotation on the early horizontal machines. haas did change that to a servo drive at some point. ut cant remember what year that was.

Ill try fiddling with the solenoids. the blue resistor just above the power resistor has burnt the board underneath.
7e602277ab27cf2f354acb64578b9639.jpg
0fb17db6e98f568ed3ad3bc8beca34ac.jpg

I cant get the tool changer to do anything since it wont allow the machine to power up restart, with out disabling the aux axis tc parameter. the one thing I did get it to do is open the carousel door by tricking it into doing a tool recovery. Is that solenoid controlled by the board I posted a picture of above?

no it should be controlled by the big IO board on the bottom left of the power cabinet. the board pictured is the tool changer driver.the tool driver is both unplugged on the left side where the ribbon cables are usually plugged in. and also unplugged from the tool changer drive motor. unfortunately I cant make out the damaged components form your pictures. if you can post better pictures I'll see if I can help more.

This is a zoomed in picture of the resistor that I tested to be dead. you cant see but the board is blackened and fractured underneath the resistor. When I test the ohm value with a multimeter it reads an open circuit. the paint and markings are burnt on it.

Also the tool changer driver was disconnected, I took the pictures when I was removing it from the machine to further inspect it.
c7ce1c2ff1e9aa20574ee133c4d42ee6.jpg

check your power transistors as well, they have been known to go bad as well. If I remember correctly if the driver board doesn't give a all is good signal, then the IO board won't fire the solenoids to the tool changer.

Ok that makes sense, Ill have a look at the transistors.

I manually actuated the solenoids for the tool changer, both the carousel pushed out and the door function properly. you mentioned a slotted screw to turn but I didnt see anything like that in there.

Should the carousel turn freely by hand? it does not in either the in or out position.

You can see where I spliced the hose, it was cracked from the sun.
2c9b25afef153131c32ced77dbf74b2b.jpg
a2698dba53c2ead14b0c686d9af27f60.jpg

Back