What's new
What's new

Haas Gearbox rebuilds

M K

Cast Iron
I done a lot of searching on this and other internet sources trying to find videos or a full step by step guide of removing and pulling apart a Haas gearbox assembly mainly for the reason of hi & low gear selection issues that are so common amongst older machines

I found small snippets of helpful info all over but no 1 complete source so I decided to do a fully documented video series on my YouTube channel found using the link below
Kinzy Fabrications

I’m not an expert by any means but needed to pull the gearbox and air shift cylinder apart to find any wear etc so thought it would be very helpful to anyone else looking to do this job in the future

They are not short videos or professional ones lol but I literally cover ever step that I take doing the job and show any mistakes or things I learn I should have done differently along the way

I’ve not finished the job yet so like and subscribe to my channel if you want to the rest of the videos

Thanks
Marc

No worries

If it’s the same type gearbox it’s a step by step guide

I’m also selling full bearing and seal kits or just seal kits for this rebuild if you need one

Thanks
Marc

Last edited:
Hi folks. Did you post the steps up yet? My Son and did a full rebuild last year. I have a post around PM here someplace. I've lost the bearing spec/numbers we bought. Ours was a 97 or 98 VF6 we did for someone else as a favor. And the method we used to remove the older ruined gear and press-fit the new one. Just a tip post there. It worked well enough.
That said.. I used the manuals a lot for review and reference There are procedures on the spindle motor removal and then reinstall. There is a tool noted for that install process. Just make one up. It's just a screw based pressure plate. I made him label all the connectors on each side w/ the ol' blue tape. A to A B to B. I don't think we had to pull the spindle? But I really done remember- The re-install for that is also easy enough. My thing w/ the Son was: Take pictures , Always. Anything you remove, mark the position/index and then reinstall it back exactly the same.
On the gearbox, the gears we had were bought from a 3rd party. PM me if you want to know where they got them. I have that somewhere. But.. this was not an exact replacement due to some factors.. but it worked out. I remember we should have checked gear-mesh alignment first. Had to shimmy the replacement gear a bit up/down to mess well. Live and learn. On the gear shifting mechanism - There is a good tip on drilling out the MAC air regulators used for shifting to allow a bit more ummph. This worked well for us and it's something you may consider in the tip since your up in the whole kit anyway. Just some thoughts.. looking forward to the DIY doc.

Hi folks. Did you post the steps up yet? My Son and did a full rebuild last year. I have a post around PM here someplace. I've lost the bearing spec/numbers we bought. Ours was a 97 or 98 VF6 we did for someone else as a favor. And the method we used to remove the older ruined gear and press-fit the new one. Just a tip post there. It worked well enough.
That said.. I used the manuals a lot for review and reference There are procedures on the spindle motor removal and then reinstall. There is a tool noted for that install process. Just make one up. It's just a screw based pressure plate. I made him label all the connectors on each side w/ the ol' blue tape. A to A B to B. I don't think we had to pull the spindle? But I really done remember- The re-install for that is also easy enough. My thing w/ the Son was: Take pictures , Always. Anything you remove, mark the position/index and then reinstall it back exactly the same.
On the gearbox, the gears we had were bought from a 3rd party. PM me if you want to know where they got them. I have that somewhere. But.. this was not an exact replacement due to some factors.. but it worked out. I remember we should have checked gear-mesh alignment first. Had to shimmy the replacement gear a bit up/down to mess well. Live and learn. On the gear shifting mechanism - There is a good tip on drilling out the MAC air regulators used for shifting to allow a bit more ummph. This worked well for us and it's something you may consider in the tip since your up in the whole kit anyway. Just some thoughts.. looking forward to the DIY doc.
Interesting tip on the Mac valve!

Hi

The entire rebuild is done as video guides on my YouTube channel as linked in my initial post, or search Kinzy Fabrications on YouTube
I also have a full video on drilling the max valve bushings but in the end I completely removed them anyway

Thanks
Marc

from a post I did a time back. The tip was from an ex Tech.
I would also open up that orifice in the fitting to .060" if you have a set of small drill bits.

This thread:

Back