What's new
What's new

HAAS Lathe Mystery issues/oil?

pwynne

Plastic
Hey guys I was wondering if I can get some help from the brain trust, we're having issues with a DS-30. Just to give you a timeline: A few months ago we noticed the coolant really started to stink on this machine and since then it has been developing a slimy brown film all over the machine. When the coolant drys and concentrates it is a dark green and this is definitely brown, making me think it's got some oil in it? Possibly hydraulic but I've been keeping tabs on the level and it's not really falling. But in the same time frame we've developed the real problem where we are getting bad, inconsistent runout on all of our parts. Sometimes as bad as .005" measured at 4" of stick out. We run Royal's standard collet chucks on this machine. We've removed all of the collet chuck assembly and have basically zero runout on the spindle nose and less than .0002 measuring the collets themselves. But as soon as we go to clamp down on a part we get bad runout again. We had Royal out to look at the collets and they said everything looked good but did note our drawtube didn't seem to float like others did, it was very stiff. One thing we have found is that indexing the spindle to a certain C location before clamping appears to reduce the runout. So we run a part, stop the spindle, index C axis to -110 degrees, bar feed and then clamp down for the next part. We're trying to figure out if these two issues are related and maybe we've got a bad hydraulic actuator or draw tube union issues? I've included a link to pictures as well as possibly relevant information below.

Photos link:
HAAS DS-3 - Album on Imgur

Machine is 2 years old
Runs approx 35 hours per week
Runs almost exclusively 1018 mild steel
We have 3 of these machines setup almost exactly the same and this is the only one exhibiting these problems
Has had regular coolant maintenance.
It is sometimes run with a stop that we built in house, I don't think it is a "dead" stop though, it attaches to the back of the spindle.
We run a skimmers overnight to take care of tramp oil, and typically come in to sparkling clean coolant in the mornings. The skimmer isn't having any effect on the browning coolant in this machine.

Back