What's new
What's new

Haas Mini Mill spindle/tool holder/tool balance issue?

It just sounds like vibration.

Can you get a good finish at 6-8K RPM with the new belt?
That’s what I thought, but the vibration analysis said it was in spec before the belt 🤷‍♂️

The finish is OK at lower RPMs but it still isn’t completely free of these artifacts in the cut — I’d say at all spindle speeds the finish is improved by about 50%. To be fair, even though the finish is good at 2-3K, it still isn’t 100% consistent. Not sure what to be expecting though or what is reasonable. I’ll have to run some more tests to validate this — I haven’t had much time with the machine yet.

Update - this has now been fixed with a new spindle and belt. I would say the belt fixed the problem about 50-70% and the new spindle has fixed it entirely. New spindle has very low runout on the taper, less than half a micron from what I can tell but obviously very difficult to measure properly with a 2 micron indicator. There was initially some vibration but Haas have been good to me so I thought I'd correct that myself. I managed to grab a nice vibration sensor (the same one Haas use) for £40 on Ebay used, threw together some cables for it and balanced the spindle with grub screws as per the Haas documentation. Attached is the result, top is my machine and the bottom is a Saunders Machine Works fixture plate, presumably machined on a VF series Haas. I know they aren't the same material, but I tried to use a similar chip load to the bottom piece. Much better than before!

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 46
the IFM VE1001, the same one shown in the Haas instructional video on it
I was looking at getting something like this, TheVE1001 is discontinued and replaced by the VNB001 which is less expensive in the US $1000vs$600.
But it seems to need a lot of attachments, Looks like toy need a at least data to usb, or bluetooth, and data to 24v, and programming and monitoring software.
They have a ZZ1060 kit and a ZZ0809 kits.
What did you get for your setup?

I was looking at getting something like this, TheVE1001 is discontinued and replaced by the VNB001 which is less expensive in the US $1000vs$600.
But it seems to need a lot of attachments, Looks like toy need a at least data to usb, or bluetooth, and data to 24v, and programming and monitoring software.
They have a ZZ1060 kit and a ZZ0809 kits.
What did you get for your setup?
I just bought a used VE1001 on Ebay, the cables and power supply (generic 12v) I bought on Amazon and wired up with documentation. There's an M8 and an M12 connector, one is female and one is male. I wired it up for serial but used a serial to USB adaptor to connect it to my laptop. I managed to source a copy of the software required too.

Here is a link to the document I used in order to wire it up. Note with serial you will need to wire the receive to the send and the send to the receive on the data connector: https://www.ifm.com/mounting/701767DEFRUK.pdf

I didn't need to program it, I just connected it to my laptop and it worked immediately. I checked it was measuring the same as the Haas one because I was curious what the vibration on my router was like, so the tech used his on this one too. I got the exact same reading so I assume it's working well.

Cool, Did you see this? Dont know if it helps with your settings.
Haas vibration setup.
Thanks Houdini, that is along the lines of what I did. I did end up having to put balancing weights at the bottom of the spindle too though, it looks as though the chamfer on the bottom of the spindle has been machined thicker on one side than the other, so I suspect that’s why it was out of balance at the bottom too. It seemed to be just out of spec when I initially ran the machine (0.15mil) and I got it down to 0.005 mil, so pretty happy with that.

Back