What's new
What's new

Haas Side mount tool changer max tool length?

Waakzaamheid

Cast Iron
We are looking at picking up a used Haas as a second op machine that will need to use some pretty long tools. We are currently doing this in our VF2 with an umbrella tool changer. A lot of the used ones come with side mount changers and I'm not sure if my tooling will fit. I'm using a tool holder with an 8 inch projection plus the tool a couple more inches out of that. The only info I can seem to find is it might be a max of 11 inches from the gage line. And I'm not too clear as to what the gage line is. From what I can tell it's essentially where the taper seats into the spindle?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

guageline is where taper seats in spindle, unless your really squeezing it just use the flandge height. as you can see thetool length is limited by this sheet metal pocketpraticalmachinist.jpg

Appreciate the help. I think the tool may fit but looking at how it does the tool changes, the way it has to swing the tool forward to get to the spindle, I think it may still end up hitting my part. Looks like I probably need to go with an umbrella style.

you can always position your table before commanding the tool change. i just set it in my CAM to position before the tool change command.
im actually curious if there are any advantages of the umbrella height wise, it swings tools in a circle just like the tool arm would, it hangs tools down.. is it overall higher than the tool arm or do the tools hang where the tool arm lowers too?

I measure a 1" dif. from the swing arm to the umbrella. not a big diference, but could be the diference you need? up to you. pre staging tools is a really nice feature of the side mount.

praticalmachinist.jpg

note, you can download the CAD of all the haas machines. makes this easy to do. i uploadd into fusion360 and run their cad modle for my machine simulation to check clearenced on 4th and 5th axis jobs. very handy for cheap

The difference with the umbrella is I can position a tool in the changer so that when it does a tool change it stays behind the part. The umbrella only moves in the X direction on a tool change. With the side mount it swings the arm out like 9 inches in front of the spindle before it reaches it. I don't have enough Y travel to make up that 9 inches so no matter what on a tool change it will hit the part.

And I did find the models on Haas' site, I kinda laid the part on there and it might jusssst barely work but I don't want to take the chance on buying something with the side mount and finding it doesn't. I don't have a machine I can test it on.

Back