What's new
What's new

Haas SL10 parts catcher not working

Dave K

Diamond
2002 parts catcher, not working. It's been getting kinda "lazy" but always operated, until now. I replaced the hardware just under the cylinder that pops up the catcher, thinking it was clogged. But still not working. That hardware has about a.005 diameter hole in it for the air to go through. On the old hardware I opened that hole up to about .015, but then the parts catcher worked, but too good. It slammed very hard up and down.

The solenoid that turns the air supply on and off, is working. But is it possible that it's not working fully? It's letting air get to the cylinder, but maybe not enough? Should I just replace that solenoid? There isn't much left to replace, other than the bimba cyclinder.

Booze Daily

Titanium
I would check the air line where it connect to the main shop air. I have an LNS connected with a quick connect and had to disassemble it to clean out some clogging. Worked fine after that.

Dave K

Diamond
I would check the air line where it connect to the main shop air. I have an LNS connected with a quick connect and had to disassemble it to clean out some clogging. Worked fine after that.

Good idea. Not sure why that escaped me. I did check the connections on the solenoid, and the connection to the cylinder, but none of the others. I'm still curious though, is it possible for that selenoid to get lazy, and not open all the way?

wmpy

Hot Rolled
Good idea. Not sure why that escaped me. I did check the connections on the solenoid, and the connection to the cylinder, but none of the others. I'm still curious though, is it possible for that selenoid to get lazy, and not open all the way?

I think the only way a solenoid wouldn't open all the way is if there was some junk in there to prevent it from opening.

Mike1974

Diamond

I'm not maintenance by any means, but I remember helping to clean solenoids from my first job... couldn't hurt IMO.

Trueturning

Diamond
SL 10 a really hardworking machine. I never had any problems with mine yet likely you work yours a lot harder. Do you have a bar feeder on it? I often have been interested in how people alter a SL10 to catch lots of parts while the machine is just processing all of the bars. Good luck.

Dave K

Diamond
SL 10 a really hardworking machine. I never had any problems with mine yet likely you work yours a lot harder. Do you have a bar feeder on it? I often have been interested in how people alter a SL10 to catch lots of parts while the machine is just processing all of the bars. Good luck.

I tend to be gentle to my machines and don't ask them to do anything they're not designed to do. I don't have a bar feeder, although, I do use a bar puller once in a while. But, that's about 3-6 times per year. Parts catcher gets used often, but nothing I would call abusive.