What's new
What's new

Haas TRT160, replace original Yaskawa servos with Siemens servos. Need help.

ToolWizard

Plastic
Hi,
For my Sharp SVL2416 with Siemens 828D control I want to install a smallest and same time capable tilting rotary - TRT160 from Haas.
I realize that this particular control will allow me (after installing a couple more drives and integration) only full 4 axis simultaneous and 1 indexing axis.
I am totally fine with that.
The problem is: OEM (here in California) not working anymore with Siemens control on this kind of machine, send it to Taiwan not an option for me.
Siemens USA connected me with a couple of integrator companies, but they don't want to work with Yaskawa's Sigma 5 or Sigma 7 servos currently being installed on TRT160.
Haas tech support refusing to give me a Siemens servos part numbers for cross reference with Siemens servos. Instead they offering to ditch Siemens 828D control and replace it with Haas control. Nope, thank you. :-))
I can take on replacing Yaskawa motors with Siemens motors, but again Siemens want to know exact specs on Yaskawa servos in order to cross reference with Siemens before they sell it to me directly or through integrators. So, Haas is no help, I talked to tech support of Yaskawa USA on a subject, they couldn't find a right Sigma 5 or 7 which they sell to Haas. Too many of them in a this line of product.
My question is, is there anyone has an information on particular model numbers of a Yaskawa Sigma 5 or preferably 7 (since 2021 they supplying Sigma 7 servos in TRT160)?
Maybe this information exist in original paperwork which came with your TRT160, or perhaps someone at one point has opened this unit.
I have to give this info to my integrators.
Thank you very much in advance!
P.S.: My apologies for lack of proper English proficiency.

If your control is Siemens, Then your motors have to be Siemens. If you want a 4th axis and not a indexer.

There was a short time that Yaskawa and Siemens had a joint partnership.
Siemens control with Yaskawa drives. But forget about that. You can't get those parts anymore.

All you need to match is:
Motor Shaft Size
Motor Flange Size
Motor Output ( H.P. / Torque / Wattage )

Siemens motors were typically a 'long and thin' design where Yaskawa were a 'short and chunky' motor shape. We always had a different motor cover for Siemens.

Thank you for your reply. This is what we've been discussing with a Siemens rep.
Using Siemens motors is given.
All I know so far is only Hp rating, which is 1 Hp = 750 Watts.
I can take on all mechanical part of retrofitting with new motors to make it easier for integrator.
And if Siemens motors is way too different in shape/size form I will have to adapt to it.
I'll try to post picture of a Yaskawa motor, but I am not sure it will help.

Attachments

• Yaskawa Sigma S7 servomotor..jpg
    Yaskawa Sigma S7 servomotor..jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2
The 750w motor was a bit odd. We used a lot more of the 900w.
But the 750w was smaller so it fit inside 4/5th tables easily.
It was a stretched 500w. Same shaft, same flange, same plugs, just longer.

What series Siemens drive your x / y on your mill. ( to find the generation of the motors )
It will likely be a 1FT-60xx or a 1FK-70xx type.

Thank you!
Somewhere in Haas papers says that those servos are 1Hp, which equals to approximately 750 Watts.
As for a drives I am little bit confused; Siemens control is 828D PPU260.2
I had downloaded all files of this build and sent it to Siemens Germany. They confirmed that this particular control is capable with addition of two more drives run as a 3+2 or 4+1 axis, one of them would be only indexable, which is fine with me.
And now I am seeing 4 drives in control cabinet, and one of them is double motor module. I believe all of them is what called Booksize drives.
OK; One drive is for spindle, second for Z, third for X, fourth for Y. And what for is fifth drive? Tool changer has own induction motor, spindle chiller and coolant pumps also have own induction motors. I am not sure about tool changer arm?

Attachments

• KwM62areclC20TP0.png
    KwM62areclC20TP0.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 9
You are right. Will pull off all cups from internal wiring conduits and trace drives output connections.

The “drive” on the left is a line module, AC in and DC out. It feeds power to the drives.

I don’t 100% agree that you need to use Siemens motors, but it makes things a lot easier. The driv cliq connection will tell the drive pretty much everything it needs to know about the motor. 3rd party motors are supported by things like the SMC20 and SMC30 sensor modules. I know because I just had to replace one… but I have no idea what kind of encoder is on the yaskawa motor. Incremental could be supported, some flavor of proprietary absolute, probably not.

Something you should check before getting too deep is that the line module can handle the addition of two more drives. It looks like it’s already near that 10kW limit.

A quick look in the wiring diagram should answer that.
I could not right away find original wiring diagram, had to contact OEM to send me a copy of all paperwork.
As soon as I get it will try to find exact my models diagram and check it. I've been worn that it will come generic drawings for full line of theirs mini mills. Thank again.

The “drive” on the left is a line module, AC in and DC out. It feeds power to the drives.

I don’t 100% agree that you need to use Siemens motors, but it makes things a lot easier. The driv cliq connection will tell the drive pretty much everything it needs to know about the motor. 3rd party motors are supported by things like the SMC20 and SMC30 sensor modules. I know because I just had to replace one… but I have no idea what kind of encoder is on the yaskawa motor. Incremental could be supported, some flavor of proprietary absolute, probably not.

Something you should check before getting too deep is that the line module can handle the addition of two more drives. It looks like it’s already near that 10kW limit.
Thanks for the helping me, you are right about hesitancy of a technicians to work with non Siemens products. They don't want even hear about it. Perhaps after identifying exact model of a Yaskawa motors, I could try to talk them into going your way.
And on a power requirements for additional drives; you right again, it is too close to the max capacity of a line module.
I have checked specs on a main power transformer, I'll will post transformer plaque. It is look like should be sufficient for installation either bigger power line module or just an additional smaller line module just for two extra drives/servos.
What do you think?

Attachments

• Sharp transformer plaque..jpg
    Sharp transformer plaque..jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2

Back