What's new
What's new

Haas VF2 price

Boat Brat

Aluminum
Hi All,

Looking for opinions on the price of a used mill I’m looking at. What do you think it’s worth?

Details as follows,

Haas VF2, not SS
2018 model
30+1 tool changer.
WIPS Tool probe.
HRT 210 4th axis, tail stock and 3 jaw chuck.
Single chip auger.
50 gallon coolant tank.
HSM.
8100rpm spindle.
TSC ready.
8000 on hours.
500 spindle hours (waiting on pictures to confirm).
Couple of vices, strange lightweight ones.
5th axis 75100 self centre vise.
Maybe 40 various tool holders.

Overall the machine looks in good condition although I haven’t seen it in person. Very dusty, shop seems to do a bit of welding.
Have had a look at similar for sale online. Prices seem to be all over the place and not many the same as most seem to be the SS version.

First potential CNC purchase so a bit nervous!

Thanks for any assistance.

Your location says Germany and New Zealand.

First you need to confirm where you and this machine are. Second, anything relevant to the US is not going to apply to you.

Good point. Unfortunately there will be only a handful of these machines in New Zealand so US prices can be used as a bit of a guide. Zero comparable used machines from other manufacturers. New Haas prices are actually very similar to the US, usually we get horribly ripped off on imports.
Funny enough I’m actually in Florida at the moment.
Thanks.

To add... the options are nice, what is the actual price? Hard to form an opinion unless you are looking for what market suggests for this machine?

Without working up a spreadsheet, I'm going to guestimate that the machine and that tooling was about $95-100K new. The tax and shipping would need to come out of that since they don't add value to you as the second owner (you'll also owe tax and shipping). It's probably worth half that right now, or about $50K.

I could argue that it's a nicely equipped machine with the 30+1 toolchanger, probing, 4th axis and all the tooling. Lots and lots of setups you could do with that. At the same time, it's a bit odd to have gone with the non-SS model and only the 8100 RPM spindle. That will limit you somewhat on feed rates and smaller tools. Other than that, it seems like a good starter package. If it has no damage, it would be a nice way to buy that machine at half the original cost.

Without working up a spreadsheet, I'm going to guestimate that the machine and that tooling was about $95-100K new. The tax and shipping would need to come out of that since they don't add value to you as the second owner (you'll also owe tax and shipping). It's probably worth half that right now, or about $50K.

I could argue that it's a nicely equipped machine with the 30+1 toolchanger, probing, 4th axis and all the tooling. Lots and lots of setups you could do with that. At the same time, it's a bit odd to have gone with the non-SS model and only the 8100 RPM spindle. That will limit you somewhat on feed rates and smaller tools. Other than that, it seems like a good starter package. If it has no damage, it would be a nice way to buy that machine at half the original cost.
Thanks for the detailed reply Donkey,
I added up the current price of the Haas items on their website, comes in around 108k. So you were rather close. Don’t think there are any real differences between the 2018 model and a 2024 one.
I should be able to get the machine home for about 45k all in. Seems like not a bad deal.
Thanks for your help.

Yeah, at that price it's probably a no-brainer. Everything in NZ seems to be more expensive based on what others have posted here. That's with the rotary and the tailstock too? Man, that stuff is expensive.

I don't keep up with software changes but, I believe the latest and greatest versions of the control get you more advanced features, like being able to embed pictures and video at the control, advanced remote monitoring, etc. I'm not sure when they rolled out things like that and I'm always surprised to see something new in one of their videos.

Yeah, at that price it's probably a no-brainer. Everything in NZ seems to be more expensive based on what others have posted here. That's with the rotary and the tailstock too? Man, that stuff is expensive.

I don't keep up with software changes but, I believe the latest and greatest versions of the control get you more advanced features, like being able to embed pictures and video at the control, advanced remote monitoring, etc. I'm not sure when they rolled out things like that and I'm always surprised to see something new in one of their videos.
Seems the control software was updated early 2019, so should have most of the new features. I believe it can be updated to the latest version if desired. Not sure if it is worth it though?
Still in discussions with them as it seems the hours are not correct. Showing different times in different menus. 25k tool changes but 500 feed hours. Anyone point me towards an explanation of haas hour counters?
Price is with everything in the first post.

I should be able to get the machine home for about 45k all in. Seems like not a bad deal.
That is a good deal.

In the states you'll pay about that much or slightly more for a similar machine with no rotary and no tooling.

A 2018 model will run the latest software but won't have the touchscreen which came out around 2020. I like the touchscreen but some people hate it. You'll get along just fine without it.

That is a good deal.

In the states you'll pay about that much or slightly more for a similar machine with no rotary and no tooling.

A 2018 model will run the latest software but won't have the touchscreen which came out around 2020. I like the touchscreen but some people hate it. You'll get along just fine without it.
Hi Orange vise,
Thanks for the confirmation. Was not aware of the touchscreen change, Thankfully it’s not a performance feature just convenience. Would be nice if there was a timeline somewhere of when features became available.
Seller is currently dragging there heals for some reason…..

So, do you ship to NZ? Unfortunately the shipping will probably costs more than a couple of vises.

Thanks.

That is a good deal.

I have 2 with and 2 without, I turned it off.
When your training and pointing you hit the screen and mess crap up, nope, turn it off! :D

So, do you ship to NZ? Unfortunately the shipping will probably costs more than a couple of vises.
We do, via DHL.

Interestingly, they give price breaks when packages weigh a minimum of 110 lbs for their Express Freight service.

When shipping lighter items, we've had to put material drops in the package to get the weight up. They do weigh to confirm.

We do, via DHL.

Interestingly, they give price breaks when packages weigh a minimum of 110 lbs for their Express Freight service.

When shipping lighter items, we've had to put material drops in the package to get the weight up. They do weigh to confirm.
Was kinda hopeful you would say no and take the option off the table for me!
Will send you a mail once I have recovered from the mill purchase.
Thanks.

Back