What's new
What's new

Hack Multi-versal machine.

metalmagnet1963

Plastic
Hello everybody, I hope I have this in the right place to post. Today while at a favourite scrapyard, a truck loaded with very large industrial washing machines also had a rather unusual looking "milling "machine on the trailer. I took lots of pictures of it, and the name cast on the machine wwas "Hack Multi-versal" made in Des Plaines Ill. U.S.A. It was nearly all there and suffered only a bent shaft for a hand wheel, that would be a rather simple fix.Odd ball looking thing,here is a few pictures. If interested, don't be shy, let me know before it's too late.
20170614_112753_HDR.jpg20170614_112746_HDR.jpg20170614_112605_HDR.jpg20170614_111832_HDR.jpg20170614_111933_HDR.jpg

I'm going to try to document as much of the restoration process as a can. After its back to its former glory I intend to build it up into a DRO driven CNC. So far the deeper I dig into it the more and more I'm impressed

Very cool machine with some interesting utility. The makers name is a conversation piece all on it's own!

.... After its back to its former glory I intend to build it up into a DRO driven CNC....

IMO, unless the machine has very simple screw movements with no gearing or other mechanics to the ways, trying to turn it into a CNC machine would be a waste akin to taking an obscure 1910's car and turning it into a rat-rod.:ack2: Retrofit machines rarely make fiscal sense as it is, but if you're looking to make one you'll have a much easier and fulfilling time starting with a Bridgeport or similar knee-mill.

No information to offer but I lived in Des Plaines (Illinois) during the late 1970's and was trying to imagine where the facility would have been.

update on the mill Hack

heres some pictures before tear down and clean up, and then the chaotic half way point in the process. but just look at that beautiful hand scraping hiding behind the vertical head. everything on it is just a couple notches away from what i would consider as band new. I have run into an issue with the tool holder. Theres a picture of the 1 and only holder that was in the machine. The major and minor taper diameter match a MT5 perfectly 1.75", 1.45", however the taper length is only 3" and and MT5 is in the ball park of 5" so the Taper per foot is not even close. I cant for the life of me find what taper this thing is, but to be honest I kind of expexted this. Looks like is time to make an adapter or modify the arbor. If anyone any thing about this taper please share.mystery taper.jpgafter.jpgbefore.jpgIMG_20220119_172931234.jpg

not to kill your buzz, but that's not where we look for wear on a milling machine... the head isn't rotating in operation.

+ 1 on checking if its a 40 taper.

good luck!

P.S., show the X ways and we will have a better idea...

thoughts on tool holder, any other ideas are welcome

makes sense the ways are still mighty nice just not sparkly. Ive done some digging on the tool holder and I think I will have to modify a MT5 to make it work, but it shouldn't be too bad. it fits a 40 taper in the front but the taper doesnt match and there seems to be a bit too much slop in the rear of the taper, correct me if im wrong though. Im planing on just buying a MT5 to ER40 adapter. Ill have to cut a few inches off the back on the MT5 re drill and tap and turn down the back of the taper just a bit to get it to mesh well.mt5 cut and turned down.jpgmt5 to er40 adapter.jpgcat 40 mate.jpg

Back