What's new
What's new

Handling Large (8x20) Sheets

CatMan

Hot Rolled
Anybody handle 8 x 20 sheets of steel on a regular basis? We've got a part that nests the best on an 8' x 20' piece of 7 ga steel plate.

For years, we layed it out on the floor and cut it out by hand. Made it worked, but never worked well.

Found a local fab shop that has a CNC big enough to handle it. The problem is, he won't handle the 8' x 20' sheets. They're buying two 8' x 13' sheets instead. So right off the bat, I'm paying for an extra 2x 3x8 pieces of steel. They're balking at handle the 20' long sheets.

So does anyone else out there handle sheets this big on a semi-regular basis? I'm looking for ideas on a forklift attachment to pick up a sheet and lay it down on a CNC bed. Ideally it would be something that the supplier can just slip their existing forks into. I have ideas, but am wondering if there is something out there commercially available as an attachment.

We just used a sheet grabber on the thicker stuff, (up to 1-1/4") and a pair of magnets on a spreader bar on the thinner stuff at my last job, and those were 10 X 20 sheets.

I have handled them fine with a standard 3 stage mast forklift with 5' forks. They bend alot, but they flatten right back out.

A vacuum plate lifter would probably be the ideal way to do it. I have one I got from a laser sheetloader.

20 foot 7 ga is one flexy guy. Trying to load a CNC table with 20 foot, 7ga and a forklift is simply a pain in the rear. even if you use a high mast fork you still need to load in the center of the table and have some way to ply out the sheet on both ends as you lower onto the table. And if it's material you don't want scratched on the deck of the cutting table that could be a problem as well. We use a overhead crane and a gantry with magnets or plate claws for thicker material and can handle 20's. I kinda cannot blame your fabricator for not wanting to fool with 20's if there not equipped to do so.

The sandblasters used to process hundreds of 20x8 plates ,and turning them over with the overhead cranes was hard on the cranes ......thinner than 3/8 is quite flexible and the sharp ends bowing back and forth need very experienced people handling the plate............I d go with vacuum lifters mounted on a dedicated frame ........magnets are good for some jobs ,but with plate they often cause all sorts of iron particles to stick to the plate.

There is a reason they do not want to handle 20 footers; likely because they have tried.

20' of gauge material is baking in problems.
You will not get a straight plate, the supplier will just use a lift to load onto truck- it will be bowed from that.
how you unload it, it will bow beyond memory from that.
loading on table with side lift dogs and a spreader is the easiest part of this- but you are loading a bent plate from above actions.

Yes, I handle 20 x 8 and 20 x 10 to often.

Vacuum lifter frame with fork pockets. Your biggest issues to make it will be vacuum source and the vacuum cups/chucks. Rule of thumb is every 2" mercury=1 pound of lift. Frame will need to be about 4 x 14 feet with cups at 4 corners and at least 4 cups across middle. Cups must be able to rotate with either a ball socket, or over size hole with large washers. A 10" square vac chuck can hold up to about 1400 pounds in a straight pull. But so very easy to peel off the sheet if an edge gets lifted.
I made my own for 4x10 sheets. Be very careful if these sheets are smooth finished. Picking up one can also pick up the sheet below it. The 2 sheets will stay together up to the point where air gets between them. Can be very dangerous if the top sheet is at an angle, bottom sheet will go sideways fairly quickly before it drops.
Happened to me lifting 4x10 sheets from flat with my tilt frame lifter. Picked up 2 sheets stainless, tilted both, put onto my vertical sheet cart. They stayed together and I was lucky.

Anybody handle 8 x 20 sheets of steel on a regular basis? We've got a part that nests the best on an 8' x 20' piece of 7 ga steel plate.

For years, we layed it out on the floor and cut it out by hand. Made it worked, but never worked well.

Found a local fab shop that has a CNC big enough to handle it. The problem is, he won't handle the 8' x 20' sheets. They're buying two 8' x 13' sheets instead. So right off the bat, I'm paying for an extra 2x 3x8 pieces of steel. They're balking at handle the 20' long sheets.

So does anyone else out there handle sheets this big on a semi-regular basis? I'm looking for ideas on a forklift attachment to pick up a sheet and lay it down on a CNC bed. Ideally it would be something that the supplier can just slip their existing forks into. I have ideas, but am wondering if there is something out there commercially available as an attachment.

If they priced the job and the price works for you, why do you care what they cut it out of? Chances are they know what they can handle moving in and out of their shop.

Vacuum lifter frame with fork pockets. Your biggest issues to make it will be vacuum source and the vacuum cups/chucks. Rule of thumb is every 2" mercury=1 pound of lift. Frame will need to be about 4 x 14 feet with cups at 4 corners and at least 4 cups across middle. Cups must be able to rotate with either a ball socket, or over size hole with large washers. A 10" square vac chuck can hold up to about 1400 pounds in a straight pull. But so very easy to peel off the sheet if an edge gets lifted.
I made my own for 4x10 sheets. Be very careful if these sheets are smooth finished. Picking up one can also pick up the sheet below it. The 2 sheets will stay together up to the point where air gets between them. Can be very dangerous if the top sheet is at an angle, bottom sheet will go sideways fairly quickly before it drops.
Happened to me lifting 4x10 sheets from flat with my tilt frame lifter. Picked up 2 sheets stainless, tilted both, put onto my vertical sheet cart. They stayed together and I was lucky.
I built a sheet lifter for up to 1/2" plate. One diaphragm pump and one release valve per one cup is absolutely the way to go. Power can be lost or some cups can lose suction and you are still good for plenty long enough to set the sheet down and try again.

You can use the manifold vacuum of a gas forklift ,with a sizeable reservoir to keep the engine steady ............you can also get a magnet device to separate steel plates ,makes the top plate float above the one below,allowing a lath to be slipped in to keep them separate.

So nobody has every used a wide load attachment similar to what's below? I was thinking about getting on just for unloading flat bar. Specialty_ForkSpreader1.pngAdjustableForkSpreader.jpg

I load 20’ x 6’ sheets onto my cnc and yes they bend when picking them up with forklift but it doesn’t matter because they flatten right out. Bend will not stay in 3/16”. 10 gauge is fine. Not sure about 12 gauge. Thinner than 12 you can run into permanent bending issues if forks aren’t spread far enough apart I’ve found. However on my set up I set the sheet onto a roller table which is then loaded onto the plasma table with magnets or clamps and the overhead crane. If I was loading that sheet onto a table from the side with a forklift that would be difficult with the bow in it.

So nobody has every used a wide load attachment similar to what's below? I was thinking about getting on just for unloading flat bar. View attachment 376567View attachment 376568
Probably work fine , your just going to need lot of room along side your cutting table to be able to load a 4 or 5 foot wide sheet onto the table and then back out wile sliding the sheet off on to the table so you don't scratch it. by the time the forks have came out from under the sheet how you have the length of the forklift and the fork attachment that will have to back up straight. and then most likely turn out.

We use vacuum lifters for up to 40’ sheets. Heavy plate is usually 5x8’ to 5x12’ sheets and handled with a coupe of magnets. All the cutting machines are serviced by overhead cranes.

Back