What's new
What's new

Hardinge Conquest 42 SP experience?

Mike RzMachine

Cast Iron
Thanks Ox! I'm heading over to try this turret zero procedure.

Do you know if the tailstock has a similar homing procedure?

Not sure what a '92 panel looks like (prolly the same) but on a '94 you hold down the ZERO RETURN button down by the E-STOP, and then also hit the TURRET INDEX button above the turret station dial.

It will HOME to pos1. The dial is not functional in this app.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox

Diamond
I don't think that there is any HOMEING procedure for the hydraulic tailstock/sub-spindle at all.
Only if it is ball-screw driven. And the tailstock wouldn't be ballscrew driven, so I'm gunna say "no".
The LED at home like you said should be all needed.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Mike RzMachine

Cast Iron
Update on this, I got the tailstock to move by commanding m84 on MDI. the tailstock homing button works once the tailstock has moved toward the spindle. And I bought it. I'll be getting it set up in the next month. I'm looking forward to learning this one. Thank you all for the advice. The more I dug in, the more it looks like a clean, well maintained lathe.

nissan300ztt

Hot Rolled
My shop routinely runs a newer Hardinge Cobra for production jobs. That thing will hold .0002" over several days of running. We did a job a few years back on it, over 15000 brass barrel bushings. Never needed to change an offset once and the customer had a 100% in house inspection. All were within tolerance. That was just a drill, turn, bore thread and part off. 15000 parts took about a week.

gcodeguy

Hot Rolled
Bought our first Hardinge Conquest 42 around 1987/1988. Still have it. Holds close tolerance all day on the 316 SS castings it has been set up on for the past approximate 3 years. Also a Conquest 51 from the same time period and a T42. Also a couple newer T42s around 20-25 years old.

Turrets on two had to be rebuilt. Had changed coolant over to water. Went back to oil on those lathes and no problem since.

The SP can be programmed to 5 decimal places. You need to know this when using the G76 threading cycle. It is also based on 5 decimal places so a first pass of Q100 is .001 instead of .01. Only a problem when you copy a program to another lathe and forget to change the P3750 to P375 and the Q1000 to Q100. :)

Is it a tailstock or subspindle? Subspindle maxs at S6000. Limit it to S5000 to avoid broken belts or buy heavier duty belts than what the lathe comes with. On our older lathe, the subspinle uses M84/M85 and uses a switch on the bottom of the subspindle to set how far it moves.

Macro B should be available. On our 2 oldest IF/THEN statements can't be used. Need to make use of GOTO statements. Hardinges come shipped with a deep drill cycle. Oldest used 9135, newer 9136. I like 9136 better and have highly modified ours and use it on all our other Fanuc control lathes.

Reactions: Ox

Mike RzMachine

Cast Iron
I hadn't thought about the 5 decimal.place programming details,.especially for functions specified using integers with smallest command unit.
This machine has a tailstock, swe hydraulic bar feeder and chip conveyor. The turret was smooth locking into each position, hope it's solid in use. I'm planning to run it with qualichem 251c to stay compliant with the cleaning/passivation process one of my customers uses.

this has the 16c collet interface built into the spindle which looks great for clearance and z working length. When you run a 3 jaw is therw an off the shelf adapter to couple the chuck drawnut internal thread to the 16c internal thread on the draw tube? Also, is there any drawback to running a kitagawa BB-206 (big bore) vs a B-206? It looks like the big bore would give a bit of extra clearance to sink a part into the chuck, not sure what you give up to get that.

Thanks,
Mike

gcodeguy

Hot Rolled
We run most of our lathes with barfeeders. The oldest Hardinge has been set up with a 3-jaw chuck to run castings that are mounted in a round fixture and then the fixture gets placed in the chuck. If I remember correctly it screws directly into the draw tube, but we may have made an adapter to accomplish that. Don't remember.

EDIT: There's not a lot of room between the spindle and tail stock. Mounting a chuck is going to cut into that space. You won't be running long parts. Especially if you need to use a longer drill. I should post a picture of our set up, but haven't done pictures in a long time. The set-up uses a longer drill, and is indexing pretty close to the tailstock.

Last edited:

Garwood

Diamond
The bigger the bore gets for a given chuck diameter, the shorter the base jaws get. The stroke will be the same, you just get less flexibility with jaw/t-nut placement.

A 6" chuck seems like it'd be huge on one of these lathes. I'd get a bigger lathe for chuck work.