Hardinge DSM/DV59 in excellent condition with tons of tooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanguard machine

Stainless
in 'good to very good' condition

REALLY don't want to part with her but it's time :(
located in Charleston SC

currently running via VFD but all original hydraulic speed controls are completely intact so the control panel shown in pics will be replaced with the original unit (also in excellent shape)

comes with a huge pile of misc tooling.

some box tooling, a huge pile of step chucks, nose mount 3 jaw scroll, nose mount 4 jaw independent, couple of face plates, couple of 5/8" shank 1/2" cap jacobs chuck, a big pile of 5C collets, spindle nose covers, misc carriage mount tool holders, some ground HSS form tools, and a bunch of other random stuff.

Will also come with the cool old vintage rollaround cart as seen in pictures. The drawers of that are also full of miscellaneous stuff that goes with the machine.

coolant tank was just completely cleaned. everything is in PERFECT working order.

Will also come with a freshly printed complete owners manual and the complete parts list.

i'm thinking 4kish, considering the tooling that comes with, and looking at previous sales on ebay, but i trust you guys (well most of you at least [emoji23]) to tell me what you think is fair.

have a bridge crane on site to load it onto your flatbed or trailer. Just need a week or so heads up to get it out there

respond here or as per Milacron's guidelines feel free to email me at:
[email protected]

IMG_6265.jpg
. IMG_6266.jpg
IMG_6267.jpg
IMG_6270.jpg
IMG_6271.jpg
e97c3689683ba4c8dd04afd3c463b4c3.jpg

556c298ca90e71733536d4d818772271.jpg

Last edited:
I uploaded them at the medium resolution but I am not on a premium/paid Tapatalk account so I'm not sure what's going on. Let me try to upload higher res in a response here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you looking for opinions? If so, I'd call that "good" or maybe "fair" condition, but not excellent given the condition of the paint and worn badging. And the non OEM speed change station. Haven't checked EBAY but if $5k represents 'recent' completed sales, I guess I better. IMHO

i'm thinking 5k ish, considering the tooling that comes with, and looking at previous sales on ebay, but i trust you guys (well most of you at least [emoji23]) to tell me what you think is fair.

Data point: 10 years ago I paid about $2500 (including rigging on the seller's end, but not shipping) for a dirty but well-tooled DSM-/DV-59 in very reasonable working condition, and most people told me I had overpaid. No regrets.

Are you looking for opinions? If so, I'd call that "good" or maybe "fair" condition, but not excellent given the condition of the paint and worn badging. And the non OEM speed change station. Haven't checked EBAY but if $5k represents 'recent' completed sales, I guess I better. IMHO

paint? maybe i'm weird but i consider backlash, condition of ways, spindle bearings, etc to be what matters, not a few scuffs and some dust on an otherwise good looking factory paint job. by that rationale it's practically pristine.
and if you read the description the control panel is only for vfd operation and the hydro controls are fully intact and sitting behind the coolant pump. two minutes and it's back to fully stock.
there's a few k worth of tooling alone. but all that said i clearly stated that i was open to offers.

Data point: 10 years ago I paid about $2500 (including rigging on the seller's end, but not shipping) for a dirty but well-tooled DSM-/DV-59 in very reasonable working condition, and most people told me I had overpaid. No regrets.

well i paid 4 for this one, with almost zero tooling, and i looked for a few years. every one i found in this condition was 5+.

What does a person do with a tiny turret lathe they paid $5k for? Does it make a return on that money somehow? Or is it just like a shrine to technologies of yore?

Just genuinely curious. I honestly would have thought that lathe with tooling was a $500 specimen.

I think the mechanically good condition you describe makes it 'good condition' but the appearance holds it back from being 'excellent' condition. I think a lot of Hardinge fan boys are picky about paint if they're going to buy at the upper end of the price range. No harm in talking up the positives and ignoring the blemishes as a seller. As for the speed change station, missed that. Good the OEM is still there. Curious what 'hydro controls' and 'hydro fluid' is? You mean coolant? Good luck with the sale. Hope it was a productive machine for you.

paint? maybe i'm weird but i consider backlash, condition of ways, spindle bearings, etc to be what matters, not a few scuffs and some dust on an otherwise good looking factory paint job. by that rationale it's practically pristine.
and if you read the description the control panel is only for vfd operation and the hydro controls are fully intact and sitting behind the coolant pump. two minutes and it's back to fully stock.
there's a few k worth of tooling alone. but all that said i clearly stated that i was open to offers.

Ouch....

What does a person do with a tiny turret lathe they paid $5k for? Does it make a return on that money somehow? Or is it just like a shrine to technologies of yore?
Just genuinely curious. I honestly would have thought that lathe with tooling was a $500 specimen.

Paint looks pretty good to me. (esp. considering one of the biggest gripes here is the cannical 'paint rebuild') and you probably should show the turret tooling if any.

yea, im thinking "good" to maybe "very good".

"excellent" its not. there wouldn't be any discoloration or corrosion on the bed or turret, for instance. that's not to ding you on the price, not sayin that at all, and not trying to troll you, but you gotta be real to get respect from this crowd!

and "pristine" is just a whole 'nutha planet, you aint even in orbit there. that word, by definition, means its ridiculously close to absolutely perfect visually. if the spindle runout, backlash, bed wear, turret bore alignment(S), etc, etc. are excellent, then say that, and better yet quantify those specs with real numbers, but please don't use the "P" word, :D

as to all these valuable accessories, maybe show some, cuz I don't see them in those pics.

you can't be effective selling shit if you are going to be even a bit delusional...;) having said that, good luck and cheers!

yea, im thinking "good" to maybe "very good".

"excellent" its not. there wouldn't be any discoloration or corrosion on the bed or turret, for instance. that's not to ding you on the price, not sayin that at all, and not trying to troll you, but you gotta be real to get respect from this crowd!

and "pristine" is just a whole 'nutha planet, you aint even in orbit there. that word, by definition, means its ridiculously close to absolutely perfect visually. if the spindle runout, backlash, bed wear, turret bore alignment(S), etc, etc. are excellent, then say that, and better yet quantify those specs with real numbers, but please don't use the "P" word, :D

as to all these valuable accessories, maybe show some, cuz I don't see them in those pics.

you can't be effective selling shit if you are going to be even a bit delusional...;) having said that, good luck and cheers!

fair enough but there isn't any 'discoloration' or 'corrosion' on any surface. paint discoloration not withstanding. the surfaces that matter, to me at least, and anyone who actually uses their machines for actual work, i.e., the ways, etc. are all shiny, clean and ding free.
as to pics of tooling: look at the pic with the tool cart, it clearly shows tooling. not trying to bog this thread down with a close up shot of every single piece of tooling.
as to 'getting respect on this forum' check the tires my friend.. i've been here for well over a decade. i may not post a lot but i've helped, and been helped, by many people on here.. including you.

Just for a data point here is a link to mine that sold here a few months ago. Well tooled Hardinge DV-59 The fela that bought it said the description and selection of tooling sold it. Never heard of a DSM/DV59 series with hydraulic speed controls so I don't know what's up with that. Good luck. Bob

as to pics of tooling: look at the pic with the tool cart, it clearly shows tooling. not trying to bog this thread down with a close up shot of every single piece of tooling.

Sorry, but the others have got a point. What that photo shows is one rather sorry looking non-original 4 jaw chuck, a small number of sorry looking collets and a number of used up step chucks. None of those add any value at all to the lathe. Is there another photo that I've missed?

the original pics didn't upload right for some reason. there's another pic of box tooling and tool holders but it keeps timing out. will retake at lower res and upload

That's one thing I've always liked about this board. How so many of it's members will light on something they're not gonna buy, have no need for and no interest in, but by golly, they'll spend hours nitpicking every single thing about it. :D

Some of you guys might not have a use for it, but clearly somebody out there does. HGR, for example, goes through Hardinges like free breakroom donuts. If a nice one gets listed, if you're interested in it, you better be quick 'cause it'll be gone in three to five days.

I picked up an HSL (the little "speed" lathe) last year, and despite having six other lathes, that thing's been so handy I honestly wish I'd gotten a full-size DV-59.

Doc.

That's one thing I've always liked about this board. How so many of it's members will light on something they're not gonna buy, have no need for and no interest in, but by golly, they'll spend hours nitpicking every single thing about it. :D

Well one thing's for SURE, the turret tooling is proably worthless and even if nobody wants the lathe, NOBODY would want the turret tooling so I would be HAPPY to take it off his hands for NO FEE whatsover. If the parts are going to be broken up that is.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back