What's new
What's new

Hardinge DSM/DV59 in excellent condition with tons of tooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does a person do with a tiny turret lathe they paid $5k for? Does it make a return on that money somehow? Or is it just like a shrine to technologies of yore?

Just genuinely curious. I honestly would have thought that lathe with tooling was a $500 specimen.

I bought 3 of them recently for $1500. They come around all the time in my world (in New England). Seems like everyone with a garage has one they dont use. They are kind of like treadmills.

Asa long as the spindle is good, the rest is just lipstick. Very easy to work on and fix up (if needed).

The money comes from the compound and cross slide. Collets are everywhere (cheap, and expensive, all readily available)

I use mine for about 4 hours every day doing 2nd op, and fixing out of tolerance parts.

I bought 3 of them recently for $1500. They come around all the time in my world (in New England). Seems like everyone with a garage has one they dont use. They are kind of like treadmills.

Asa long as the spindle is good, the rest is just lipstick. Very easy to work on and fix up (if needed).

The money comes from the compound and cross slide. Collets are everywhere (cheap, and expensive, all readily available)

I use mine for about 4 hours every day doing 2nd op, and fixing out of tolerance parts.

Thanks, That makes perfect sense. Prices seem to be about the same in my neck of the woods.

Thanks, That makes perfect sense. Prices seem to be about the same in my neck of the woods.

2 weeks later sold 2 of them for $1500. One was an HSL? (Half Sized) would have loved to keep that one, but space issues.

2 weeks later sold 2 of them for $1500. One was an HSL? (Half Sized) would have loved to keep that one, but space issues.

Why would you just give money away like that? You left $8500 on the table selling a pair of $5k machines for $1500 doing that.

$500 at most.

A local tried to sell HC chuckers (I know not same machine) that were visually much better looking machines with tooling. Probably like you he started out at $5k. Sold them (3 I think) for $1k each. the only way he got $1k each is that he sold them along with his business. If he hadn't done that they would have been scrapped. (It didn't help the fact that he was one of the most ornery individuals I've ever met)

oh right, now i remember why i stopped checking in here. i almost forgot trolls officially took pm over years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you came back to sell a machine. A little bit of research before hand and you wouldn't get the responses you've been getting.

oh right, now i remember why i stopped checking in here. i almost forgot trolls officially took pm over years ago.

Hey, for PM these guys are being quite tactful...

But, as much as it pains a seller, they're right. You may get lucky and find that individual who just WANTS that machine, but us folk with older equipment (not to get personal here) have to face reality when it comes time to sell.

-Yes, because it's the seller's fault you guys are being assholes.
Doc.

OK, I take back the comment I made about the paint. The machine looks like it was shot at and missed and shit at and hit.

There. That moves the needle one tick more to 'asshole.'

And I'd *still* like to see that turret tooling that comes with this machine.

-Yes, because it's the seller's fault you guys are being assholes.

Doc.

I wasn't being an asshole. Telling it like I saw it. It's not my fault the OP is delusional. There you go.

The OP would get the same responses over at any Home Shop harry forum, the CXXXXXXX forum, and that other forum.

You could buy a nice Graziano/Takasawa/HES/Colchester/Le Blond/Okuma LS/Mori lathe for $5k to put it into perspective. ($5k Mori might be a stretch these days)

I wasn't being an asshole. Telling it like I saw it. It's not my fault the OP is delusional. There you go.

The OP would get the same responses over at any Home Shop harry forum, the CXXXXXXX forum, and that other forum.

You could buy a nice Graziano/Takasawa/HES/Colchester/Le Blond/Okuma LS/Mori lathe for $5k to put it into perspective. ($5k Mori might be a stretch these days)

Last week I bought a Hardinge Super Precision 42 with live milling, full C-axis, tooling and barfeeder for a fraction of $5k. I believe the Hardinge I bought at the price I bought it for actually has a chance of being a profitable investment. I really don't think I got a "deal" on it either. If it wasn't in a package deal with other equipment I really wanted the Hardinge would have been a hard pass.

it's interesting.. i've been active on this forum for a dozen or so years, i've never been anything but helpful and cordial with everyone. i haven't always agreed with certain people's opinions, but i've always maintained the philosophy that being respectful and offering whatever advice i could, with what little knowledge i have, was the best way to participate here. and that the little pissing contests and subsequent dog piles that always seem to follow are petty, and show a lack of virtue.
i've sold tons of shit here over the years, most of it for what people seemed to think was a fair deal!
wherever this idea of 5k came from is beyond me. i literally said 'asking 4ish but open to suggestions' i.e., i would gladly entertain offers. but no worries! you guys enjoy shitting all over how much of a home shop grade turd this hardinge is, and how delusional i apparently am! haha
best of luck to you all[emoji1365]

I agree you've been a great part of the forum, but you're taking this aspect too personally. We've seen this "gentle correction" to machine pricing dozens of times on PM, I've gone through it too.

When you step back, it's usually realistic and helpful to listen to what folks are saying about "street pricing", as they're usually right. You can occasionally find the unicorn buyer who'll pay the original asking price, but if you want to move something reasonably quickly listening to feedback makes sense.

I agree you've been a great part of the forum, but you're taking this aspect too personally. We've seen this "gentle correction" to machine pricing dozens of times on PM, I've gone through it too.

When you step back, it's usually realistic and helpful to listen to what folks are saying about "street pricing", as they're usually right. You can occasionally find the unicorn buyer who'll pay the original asking price, but if you want to move something reasonably quickly listening to feedback makes sense.

i appreciate that! i'm not in any rush to sell, the right buyer will come along eventually. i'd prefer to give someone who actually needs it, and doesn't have a lot of scratch, a killer deal anyway.

it's interesting.. i've been active on this forum for a dozen or so years, i've never been anything but helpful and cordial with everyone. i haven't always agreed with certain people's opinions, but i've always maintained the philosophy that being respectful and offering whatever advice i could, with what little knowledge i have, was the best way to participate here. and that the little pissing contests and subsequent dog piles that always seem to follow are petty, and show a lack of virtue.
i've sold tons of shit here over the years, most of it for what people seemed to think was a fair deal!

wherever this idea of 5k came from is beyond me. i literally said 'asking 4ish but open to suggestions' i.e., i would gladly entertain offers. but no worries! you guys enjoy shitting all over how much of a home shop grade turd this hardinge is, and how delusional i apparently am! haha
best of luck to you all[emoji1365]

See post #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back