What's new
What's new

Hardinge HC spindle motor won't turn on

mcgyvr

Plastic
Had riggers move a Hardinge HC from one building (working fine) to another and now the spindle motor doesn't turn on at all..
I can hear the relays click when I move the spindle lock in and out so I'm going to assume thats working properly..
When I put it into forward or reverse the variable speed yoke screw spins and the nut moves down until it hits the lowest position (not sure if thats as it should be or maybe the plug is wired backwards but I'd think the spindle would still turn on).
I have verified 220v supply and 110 coming off the transformer for the controls per the nameplate..
Spindle brake seems to engage/disengage properly..
Power feeds seem to work fine..
Spindle motor just doesn't do anything. I hear a humming when forward/reverse is activated..

What can I look for to get this thing running again?

Your checking the spindle lock first is also what I would have done. You did verify the spindle was unlocked by turning it by hand? I always understood doing a speed change with the spindle not turning was a no/no. Supposed to put the belts and variable pulleys in a severe bind.

When you finally do get the spindle to come on verify that you get the correct direction of rotation before doing a speed change. If incorrect swap the two leads that go to the control side.

Running before the move and not afterwards makes one thing a wire pulled loose of contact fell out of one of the contactors. Just had a switch fail on one of my Omniturns and I cut the switch apart and one of the contacts was missing.

Verify the voltage at the last contactor going to the motor are getting voltage, then track it down.

Just occurred to me that the motor could be turning if the motor mount got pushed up during the move, I would check that and see if something is holding the motor off the belt tension adjusting screw.

Well... weird... I was checking belts to see if they were overly tight or bound or anything and turned the spindle motor by hand and tried forward again and it started working just fine motor/spindle was spinning and I had 1 and 2 speed controls (#3 didn't seem to do anything).. It would also go in forward and reverse... Then I stopped it to answer my phone and then went to turn it back on again and it was back to the motor not turning at all... It seems I can get it to start by turning the spindle by hand then switching it to forward (hands off the spindle at that time) and maybe 1 out of 10 times doing that it will start up and run fine again for a few forward/reverse cycles and then stop again and not turn back on.

Not sure if its a sign of the motor going bad or if there is still something loose or not actuating properly.

As far as I know 3 phase motors have no starter circuit. Makes me think that that one phase has no power or weak power. If I am right contacts, connections, wiring, then windings in that order.

Well, this is peculiar. I typed this reply several days ago and evidently forgot to post it. Still sitting here ready to hit the post button. Most other forums this would have been lost.

Had riggers move a Hardinge HC from one building (working fine) to another and now the spindle motor doesn't turn on at all..
I can hear the relays click when I move the spindle lock in and out so I'm going to assume thats working properly..
When I put it into forward or reverse the variable speed yoke screw spins and the nut moves down until it hits the lowest position (not sure if thats as it should be or maybe the plug is wired backwards but I'd think the spindle would still turn on).
I have verified 220v supply and 110 coming off the transformer for the controls per the nameplate..
Spindle brake seems to engage/disengage properly..
Power feeds seem to work fine..
Spindle motor just doesn't do anything. I hear a humming when forward/reverse is activated..

What can I look for to get this thing running again?
You got this going?
Just started one up, and I had the incoming 3phase rotation connected clockwise (ABC), like most machines require.
Ran it a bit forward/backward, etc, and machine shut down on me when I adjusted the variable speed knobs.

Turns out it was running backwards, and the power speed adjusting nut ran into a stop, tripping an overload inside control cabinet.

I reset it, reversed incoming power (counterclockwise CBA), and it worked fine. Good luck.

Back