What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H... ugly but very nice condition.... great for cosmetic restore - eBay auction format.. 99 cents to start ! No reserve

looks good, that would be "pristine" according to an otherwise rational member here with one to sell, LOL! you might want to include some more detail on the collets, brand, condition, sizes?

Looks like it was painted in the spirit of Desert Storm.

If you were not so far away I would be interested. If that sells for less than $8K then you are a generous fellow.

Don, if it's not too much to ask....

Is it possible to set the Forum "Similar threads" setting, to a time limit?
At the bottom of my page right now, I get one post from 2022, the next newest from 2017, then 2016, 2013, and 2013. These are mostly out of date for sale or ebay listings.
There are enough ancient posts dragged up to the front by guys searching with a search engine, who never looked at the date the posts were made. Is it possible to at least prevent the Forum Software from adding to the problem?

Thanks!

In the video, it shows the longitudinal feed and cross feed operating at the same time.
I am completely unfamiliar with the Hardinge lathe. Is this a taper feature?

In the video, it shows the longitudinal feed and cross feed operating at the same time.
I am completely unfamiliar with the Hardinge lathe. Is this a taper feature?
No, normally one wouldn't use both feeds simultaneously .... I was just demoing both together to keep the video as short as possible.

Having said that, it is possible to rig a lathe to turn tapers in that manner but one has to be able to control each axis feed rate separately. I did this eons ago on a small turret lathe where I rigged a DC motor on the X axis hand wheel hub and used the standard Z feed at the same time. Worked fine for my purpose, which was turning a taper on the handles for a jig I manufactured where the taper wasn't critical accuracy wise.

I think that there was a lathe where you could use simultaineous feed on both axes to cut live centres in the headstock.

Curiously, the HLV and HLV-H seem to have a different arrangement from each other, on the HLV the cross slide would move in as the carriage moved to the left.

Just checked the listing. It looks as if it went for the right price!

I am not real familiar with the different iterations of the HLV lathe family, but at least some of them cut a 60 degree center when both feeds were engaged, and that was mentioned as a feature in advertising. Some Hendey lathes did the same, although I think they cut 45 degrees rather than 60.

Maybe for the buyer. Seems low compared to what I have seen in the past for HLV-H lathes like this one with tooling and in decent mechanical condition.
Not to mention that the seller is a "Known", in this case, with a pretty decent rep for accuracy, as far as his estimates of condition go.
I can't help but figure Don done OK here, and so did the buyer, since they were not buying so much for 'pretty', as for 'good'!

The tooling with, was a pretty decent bonus for the buyer too.

Back