What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLVH E/M compound and cross dial covers frozen

dsatchell

Plastic
I have a ~1970 vintage that Ive been progressively restoring to working condition. Nearly everything short of the spindle was stuck/frozen with MWF. Fortunately once unstuck, it appears in great shape. One item I’ve not figured out are the cross and compound hand wheel indicator dial covers. This machine is an E/M and the covers appear pushed to a forward position. I know this because the ,meteric dials are covered with the cover in this position. I can’t tell if the cover is intended to slide or unscrew and have not found any type of locking pin.

any help would be much appreciated.

alcro1998

Aluminum
My E/M had some stiff / stuck dial covers. I Mine is a 79. Some Knock'er Loose will do the trick. Just keep spraying it and giving it a pull till to comes loose. Could take a couple days a spraying and messing with it but should do the trick. I probably wouldn't hit it with heat since I wouldn't want to mess the dials up.

My E/M had some stiff / stuck dial covers. I Mine is a 79. Some Knock'er Loose will do the trick. Just keep spraying it and giving it a pull till to comes loose. Could take a couple days a spraying and messing with it but should do the trick. I probably wouldn't hit it with heat since I wouldn't want to mess the dials up.
Not heat heat Just so you could still touch it With a hairdryer even

Peter

car2

Stainless
Best solvent for hardened oil is isopropyl or ethyl alcohol (better than mineral spirits, pb-blaster and acetone) and it won't eat the paint and plastic; caustics will also eat paint and attack non ferrous parts. I have a hardinge TM horiz mill that I had to soak the dial lock-nuts in for hours in warm IPA to unfreeze them. Still, I would avoid soaking the plastic graduated dials for a long length of time. I think that sliding ring has a ball or ball-end detent that may be stuck in its hole, in addition to any gunk on other areas (seems I recall slightly modifying that on the tailstock of my lathe at some point).
I also have a mid-80's HLVH-EM, and have taken the geared dials completely apart; it is not difficult, however all the parts are extremely close-fitting and you have to make sure there are no nicks, burrs or grit, and align things carefully during assembly. There are also a couple of spring-loaded shoes in the dials, so make sure those don't get away from you while disassembling the dials. I also ended up putting thin lock-nuts on the existing outer dial lock-nuts, as I got tired of those nuts moving slightly and messing up the play and feel of the assembly.
Another thing that gets stuck with polymerized oil are the bushings for the selector knobs, and feed/thread knob. The bushings are pressed into the housing, and the selector shafts are very close-fitting in those bushings. These can be freed up by taking the knobs off, dousing the inside and outside of the shafts with alcohol, and working them axially (with the couple mm allowed), from the outside and inside thru the gearbox covers. Cheers.

jim rozen

Diamond
An aside: there are some platics that ethanol does dissolve - for example, the totally unobtainium bandswitch knob for a hallicrafters SX-28 radio. Just saying. Not that I'm bitter or anything....

dsatchell

Plastic
Got it, I will continue with the solvents. So far all good with the other components, these are the last two items that are frozen. Now i know they should pull out, I’ll work them with the solvent.
thank you all!