Motor!

HSL-043.jpg

Mounted!

HSL-044.jpg

And first chips!

HSL-045.jpg

Three weeks from delivery to damn-near-done. :D

Doc.

Spent part of today putting together a mount for the VFD...

HSL-046.jpg

If work relents long enough, I hope to get it finished and wired in the next couple of days. Which will pretty much complete this project!

Doc.

looking good! What a little cutie, though it must still weigh several hundred pounds..

For the foot pedal brake, you could wire it into the VFD somehow as an alternative eStop, if that model allows additional inputs. Not sure if Pentadrives have that option being a sealed deal, but I'm pretty sure most other name brand VFDs do.

The shipping weight on the entire thing was some 650 lb. I can say that the lathe itself, with no tooling and no motor, is likely every bit of 300. :D

And there's no "footpedal" brake. I'd originally thought that that diamond-tread plate was a manual brake, but it's just a foot-rest. It's solidly welded to the cabinet.

The motor has a built in, solenoid-actuated brake at the tail end. I disabled that for VFD use, though I retained all the pieces in case I ever want to use it for some reason.

With the KB VFD default settings, it comes to a stop in less than two seconds. The only thing I lose is the "spindle hold", for want of a better word, which would make swapping collets a little easier. But that's a minor thing, and the convenience of not having to start and run the rotary converter each time, is worth the trade-off.

Doc.

I started wearing those gloves in the shop to protect my hands against WD-40. I cut a lot of aluminum (mostly aluminum, really) and without flood coolant (open manual mills) I tend to use a lot of WD-40.

After a day of making a part, I'd have to wash my hands like five times to finally get rid of the smell- at which point they're dry, cracking and sore.

After I started using the gloves, it was a simple case of peeling them off, a quick rinse with plain soap and water, and done.

I stretched that out to using them to work on greasy things, for painting, for using light solvents, handling dirty parts and so on. Today, it kind of doesn't feel right to not be wearing them in the shop.

And even those thin nitrile one have saved me from countless little stabs from steel cuttings, the occasional light slip with an exacto, undeburred edges and so on.

I absolutely do not ascribe to the usual "no gloves in the shop, no way, no how" mindset. That's stupid and ludicrous. Gloves are PPE, no less than hearing protection and safety glasses.

Yes, some people have gotten injured when their glove got caught in some machinery. But that's not the glove's fault, it's the fault of the idiot that stuck his goddam hand into the spinning thing!

[/rant]

:D

Doc.

I'm not old enough for age spots, yet. :D

And the machine's done, by the way:

HSL-047.jpg

Done and already been put to work. Handy little thing, wish I'd had one a while ago.

Doc.

First payin' job!

HSL-048.jpg

Had to break down the cross slide and give it a good scrubbing. It has a bit more wear than I'd like, but it's easily serviceable. Made some tiny parts, and she worked like a champ. Fast and accurate.

Doc.

First payin' job!

HSL-048.jpg

Had to break down the cross slide and give it a good scrubbing. It has a bit more wear than I'd like, but it's easily serviceable. Made some tiny parts, and she worked like a champ. Fast and accurate.

Doc.

It’s been forgotten how useful those are.
I wish we had one where I work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s been forgotten how useful those are.
I wish we had one where I work.

The backside of all my beautiful parts get butchered by a couple Neanderthals with a dull countersink in a cordless drill and a belt sander.

Back