What's new
What's new

Hardinge Mill UM wiring to run

WERDI

Plastic
Happy Independence weekend to all!

If anyone is familiar with the Hardinge wiring and boxes.

I have a couple questions about some wiring. One stated below and the other once I confirm this first question.

Looking to verify a few things on my Hardinge Mill.
Referring to the tag at the top (red) which states 208/240v or 440/480v there is only a wire on the left side terminal and right side terminal. The diagram indicating 440 does not match the wiring setup that is currently terminated, correct?.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

Could someone confirm that it is set up as 208/240v1000002183.jpg

Attachments

• 1000002181.jpg
    1000002181.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 1000002184.jpg
    1000002184.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 1000002182.jpg
    1000002182.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That Furnas magnetic starter is set for 208/240. You can also look at the wiring going into the motor, often identification of wiring patterns are marked there as well.

That Furnas magnetic starter is set for 208/240. You can also look at the wiring going into the motor, often identification of wiring patterns are marked there as well.
Great, thank you very much. I will check that this evening.

You didn't mention what 3P power source you are using. Assuming it's a rotary phase converter, the "manufactured", or "wild" leg should not be hooked up to the control circuitry, transformers (including coils for magnetic starters), etc. The manufactured leg will have an oddball voltage to ground (not 120), and to either of the other wires. The two non-manufactured legs will have 230 volts between them. A VFD cannot be hooked up to a magnetic switches and control circuitry. Be careful, cheers.
***I will edit the original post, now.^^^
(Cannot edit the original post, I believe it expires after 24 hours)

Thank you very much for that. These are my next questions, once I get personal with the factory connections. The fact that you jumped ahead and answered some possibilities of what or how I may terminate is a greatly appreciated precaution. Thank you for your knowledge.

Yes, I thought about wiring a vfd. Until I can get a rotary phase converter.

Last edited:
One more added detail ;
I opened up another side panel, and saw a sharpie written on the motor wiring box...

20230704_141106.PNG
But if you zoom in to the nameplate on the motor it states 440v... either this is still possible to utilize 230v or it is actually wired up 440v and someone wrote 220v on the cover plate because they were able to do something.
Now I need to probe out the motor wires/ wire nut connections to verify what goes where.
Not sure which wires terminated where, will be evidence of which connection (230v or 440v) is pre-existing in this case.

I opened up another side panel, and saw a sharpie written on the motor wiring box...
The electrician from the past is helping you out, 220 only in sharpie. Your motor most likely can be wired either 220 or 440. Or it was 440 only and rewound to 220, I've had to do that before since I only have 220. Since you have a handwritten note in there for 220 and your mag starter is 220, I think it's safe to hook that up to 220. Follow the important directions from car2 if you're generating you're own 3phase 220.

Back