What's new
What's new

Hardinge T42 help

Lunchbox1029

Plastic
Hi all, new member here. I've looked around and couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I recently purchased a 1988 Hardinge T42 for a steal of a deal. I wired power myself and it powers up. I had an issue with the air system, which I was able to repair, but now I'm getting some alarms on startup.

1008 spindle unit fault
1004 main spindle brake fault
400 servo alarm (overload)
414 servo alarm: x axis detect err
424 servo alarm: z axis detect err
434 servo alarm: 3 axis detect err

The control will not respond at all. I've checked all breakers in the cabinet. Are my power legs not right? Am I on the limit switches? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no manuals for this machine.

FredC

Titanium
First guess is parameters lost with a down battery. Could be a very bad guess. You might copy and paste this to the CNC forum. Ones there will have more experience with your T42.

FredC

Titanium
Ive narrowed it down to the voltage it being too high. I will post in the CNC forum. Thank you.

I had that issue with my GT. The control transformer that Hardinge used had a lower voltage tap (seems like it was a nominal 95 volts) Tech support said change it and I did. Blown no boards or other components since. I had no alarms on my machine, mostly things popped at the voltage and current spike during power up.

Lunchbox1029

Plastic
I wired a buck-boost transformer inline and it did not fix my problems. It did lower my voltage to 219v which is great.