What's new
What's new

Has anybody got the book "Machine Shop Trade Secrets"?

I like it as a book of tips and tricks. Also Lipton's "Metalworking Sink or Swim" (1st ed) basically identical to "Metalworking Doing It Better" (2nd ed). Both of these are well-organized, full of miscellaneous practices and procedures. When the 2nd editions came out, I bought both of them again, and gave my 1st edition copies to the local highschool shop.
But if you are looking for a basic machining textbook, look elsewhere. I like Moltrecht's "Machine Shop Practice" in two volumes, but there are equally good ones.
$60 for the 2nd edition does seem a bit high. I bought my 2nd ed. a couple of years ago for $46. How much is your time worth? If you get enough tips to save a couple of hours in the next year, the book pretty much pays for itself.

Last edited:
One of the odd things I've found at the shop I work at, is that the young machinists, already whizzes at pushing buttons on a controller, don't know the basics of machining, like SFM, making rigid accurate setups, selecting the proper cutting tools, rake and relief angles, dealing with chatter, thinking you're the idiot and doing things their own way, trouble shooting and on and on. It's often frustrating for me to work with these guys. I'll be retiring in a couple of months and won't miss any of that.

One of the odd things I've found at the shop I work at, is that the young machinists, already whizzes at pushing buttons on a controller, don't know the basics of machining, like SFM, making rigid accurate setups, selecting the proper cutting tools, rake and relief angles, dealing with chatter, thinking you're the idiot and doing things their own way, trouble shooting and on and on. It's often frustrating for me to work with these guys. I'll be retiring in a couple of months and won't miss any of that.

Thank you for that very topical, relevant rant.

I liked it. You won’t use everything in it, but it’s got enough useful tips to make it worth the price.

It’s presented in a way that makes it easy to pick up and read a few mins then go do something else which makes it nice for casual reading.

It is targeted toward newer tradesmen who don’t know many of these things yet. Old hands probably wouldn’t glean much. But I still think it’s interesting reading and if you pick up even one or two things it’s worth the read.

I really liked Tom Liptons book Sink or Swim. I’ve used tons of those tricks in my every day shop work.

Back