What's new
What's new

Having difficulty locating rectangular quartz window...

Abeship

Hot Rolled
A bit OT but figured I would ask...

Have a project where I'd much prefer to use a quartz or fused silica window that is rectangular (approximately 2 x 1.5 inches, dimensions aren't finalized yet) rather than the standard circular windows. Ive been through about 3 pages of google and only found one supplier that offered 50mm x 20mm and have a call/email into them. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I may be able to find something?

The most versatile company I know of making custom ceramic and optical shapes (not lenses) is Mindrum Precision.
http://www.mindrum.com/
For many years I worked in an area of research where custom optical components were essential. I have had many occassions to visit Mindrum at trade shows and to talk to them. Give them a call. If they do not have what you want, they can easily make it. If that is too "custom" for your taste, post up here and tell me exactly what you want and I will check some of the usual suspects.

Cheers,
Michael

Give a phone call to Omega Optical Inc. in Brattleboro VT.
They have a "surplus and component inventory" program that might supply something suitable without any tooling fees.

If you can be flexible with exact size and thickness, I can assure you they have hundreds of "near matches" to choose from.

If you can get a piece that's larger than the final size you need you can waterjet it to size. It's a bit tricky as you need to tape the faces and support it so it doesn't fall in the tank and you have to start the jet up off the side of the glass can come it, but it's doable. What you can't waterjet or cut in any other way is tempered glass, due to the internal stress. I have this vague memory that microscope slides tend to be tempered but I'm not sure if we actually confirmed this. At any rate, McMaster has fused quartze so go to town.

Being im blowing glass now days these folks have what you need.

Technical Glass Products

Any time you are having any difficulty with anything quartz related, your scientific glass blower can ALWAYS help.

And for those of you recommending pyrex...quartz and borosilicate glass (pyrex) are very different animals. Quartz is used when optical quality is of paramount importance. Near perfect transmission, less thermal expansion, much greater temperature processing range, etc.

When I worked as a scientific glass blower, we were often able to utilize vycor instead of quartz. Cutting it or quartz to any shape is simple using glass engraving equipment.

Back