What's new
What's new

HEALD vertical mill

starrz057

Plastic
I just recently acquired a small HEALD vertical mill. I have not been able to find another one on the web nor have I been able to find anything about this model. Does anyone have experience with this mill.

Attachments

• 0606140849a.jpg
    0606140849a.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,160
  • 0606140849.jpg
    0606140849.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 743
  • 0606140849b.jpg
    0606140849b.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 543

kpotter

Diamond
I have owned a couple horizontals but that is the first vertical I have ever seen. I worked for a machinerey dealer and thought I had seen alot but thats a first. Cool mill it is probably brown and sharp taper with a 32 inch table. I doubt there are very many of those around.

waynes

Cast Iron
That looks like a very rigid little machine. Very solid looking head design, not as flexible to use as the typical knuckle jointed Bridgeport style, but not as "flexible" either. Lots of the big heavy iron companies build large machines using that style - I'm sure it will be very capable at removing metal. Never seen one like it and no info, sorry, but congrats on getting a really nice mill.

JohnEvans

Titanium
Do a search here as one member recently aquired a vertical and I have a horizontal. spindle taper is either B&S #9 or 40 NMTB.

Rudd

Stainless
Made in Springfield MO. E.M. Heald Machinery Company. VM states the company was active in the 50's and 60's.
The one in Savannah had a completely different vertical head.. obviously a vert head on a horizontal. Looks like this one may be a different style of the same thing. Savannah machine supposedly had a back-gear, note much larger column than the OP's example, also the "backpack" on this one.

I'm putting the photos in the repository at vintagemachinery.org
The guy with the complete horizontal had a catalog or some sort of dirty paper if I recall correctly.
I believe I have seen four different machines in the past 3 months, never saw one before that.

Here's one member that has one http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...istory/e-w-heald-mach-works-horz-mill-282251/

And a link to a catalog, not sure how you read the thing or even if it's digitized.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/precision-milling-machines-catalog-758/oclc/049709311

Last edited:

JohnEvans

Titanium
Rudd : The OP on this thread seems to be missing the "back pack" that area is the drive for power table feed. You can see the pivot points where that cover mounted . And yes the Savanna one definatley has a different style head, I wonder if Heald made that style as a first design or accessory. The Heald catalog shows this style head. Veddy interesting Eh! Never heard of one untill I came across my hor 3 months ago.

Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
Made in Springfield MO. E.M. Heald Machinery Company. VM states the company was active in the 50's and 60's.
The one in Savannah had a completely different vertical head.. obviously a vert head on a horizontal. Looks like this one may be a different style of the same thing. Savannah machine supposedly had a back-gear, note much larger column than the OP's example, also the "backpack" on this one.

I'm putting the photos in the repository at vintagemachinery.org
The guy with the complete horizontal had a catalog or some sort of dirty paper if I recall correctly.
I believe I have seen four different machines in the past 3 months, never saw one before that.

Here's one member that has one http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...istory/e-w-heald-mach-works-horz-mill-282251/

And a link to a catalog, not sure how you read the thing or even if it's digitized.
Precision milling machines : catalog 758. (Book, 1961) [WorldCat.org]

I am concerned that the mill in the photo may not have a large enough vise on it.

Andy

JohnEvans

Titanium
Starrz : Contact John Martin he is a member here and can send you some Heald scans .In the copy I have your mill looks to be a model 1-V as it has the same head . You must be missing the rear cover for the table drive.

heapes

Plastic
I am concerned that the mill in the photo may not have a large enough vise on it.

Andy

20140621_174902.jpg

Yes, yes. Y'all make fun of the size of a guy's tools. I agree that it could be a little smaller. As the picture shows I won't be using this vise very often. I would like to sell the thing but don't know who would want a 250 pound vise. I don't know how I would ship it to them either. That rotary table isn't much lighter.
Stephen (the guy that bought the Savannah, GA machine)

heapes

Plastic
Starrz : Contact John Martin he is a member here and can send you some Heald scans .In the copy I have your mill looks to be a model 1-V as it has the same head . You must be missing the rear cover for the table drive.

With the permission of Mr. Martin I posted this literature on Vintage Machinery several days ago. The link is
E. M. Heald Machine Works - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

I also posted some of the pics of my mill. I do hope to perform a restoration on the machine but a 1962 Willys CJ-3b stands in the way at the moment.
Photo Index - E. M. Heald Machine Works - Heald Horizontal Mill with vertical head option | VintageMachinery.org
Stephen

steelhorse83

Plastic
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm having the same issue as the OP.

I recently acquired a Heald 1-V Vertical Milling Machine from a retired gunsmith. The machine is in good shape, but I've been unable to find much information about it. Does anyone have a copy of an owners manual? I did give the publications posted at VintageMachinery.org a peek, but I'm mostly interested in how to properly care for it, and what the spindle speeds are for the different belt configurations.

Thank you in advance!

surplusjohn

Diamond
lots of machines were meant to be production machines vs a tool room or more versital machine. so it was bought and set up for one operation and ran until it was worn out. before cnc you may of had several small mills in a row, each set up for one cut.