What's new
What's new

HEALD vertical mill

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm having the same issue as the OP.

I recently acquired a Heald 1-V Vertical Milling Machine from a retired gunsmith. The machine is in good shape, but I've been unable to find much information about it. Does anyone have a copy of an owners manual? I did give the publications posted at VintageMachinery.org a peek, but I'm mostly interested in how to properly care for it, and what the spindle speeds are for the different belt configurations.

Thank you in advance!

I looked at TWO that were for sale years ago for $500 each. One was a vertical, the other a horizontal.

Such research as worked at all pegged them as "production line" critters - much as Burke, Barker, or Nichols specialized in, only better built and with far fewer options.

The compact shape and clean integration - similar to Sheldon/Vernon's wont, wudda been a plus as they took up very little floor or "shoulder" space.

Downside is stingy work-envelope.

If that work-envelope suits your needs? You've effectively gotten hands onto a decent alternative to a Hardinge TU/TM with the more powerful #9 B&S or 40-taper of a Burke or Nichols.

Simplicity, build quality, durability, maintainability should all prove to be top-drawer.

If no lube info, check other mills, there isn't usually much diff. Speeds you can calculate or just measure, HF or better tachometer.

Thanks for the replies! I agree, it won't be quite a versatile as others, but I do like the compact footprint, and it will likely serve my needs. Bigger work will give me a reason to use my friend's J head Bridgeport.

Also, I found an outlet for Vacoline in 16oz bottles, which seems more appropriate that Vactra, since I'm not worried about coolant contamination. A couple bottles will last me quite a while.

Thanks for the replies! I agree, it won't be quite a versatile as others, but I do like the compact footprint, and it will likely serve my needs. Bigger work will give me a reason to use my friend's J head Bridgeport.

Also, I found an outlet for Vacoline in 16oz bottles, which seems more appropriate that Vactra, since I'm not worried about coolant contamination. A couple bottles will last me quite a while.

Bumping this thread…is there any material on this mill that can be shared? I just acquired one.
Congratulations on a good purchase at a great price.

I don't know of any manuals, parts lists or operating instructions. I do have sales brochures and quotations for these mills, which I have scanned and have as files. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you copies.

Congratulations on a good purchase at a great price.

I don't know of any manuals, parts lists or operating instructions. I do have sales brochures and quotations for these mills, which I have scanned and have as files. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you copies.
John, Just sent you a message with my contact info

Back