What's new

Heavy 10 Acquisition and questions

Leslie Sapp

Plastic
Picked this up yesterday.

Model# CL 187 Z
Serial# 10878RKX15

1958? If so, we're the same age.:cool:

Regarding the "X" in the serial number: Does anyone have any idea what "special" means on this lathe?

I'm posting pictures of the lathe and the motor plate.
The motor is a GE 3/4 hp 3 phase. Any suggestions for a good VFD for this setup?DSC_0559.jpg20220421_182741.jpg

SLK001

Stainless
If you look behind the apron in your picture, you'll see "Flame Hardened Bed". That's what the "X" means. Around 1958, South Bend was just beginning to offer hardened beds as an option.

Leslie Sapp

Plastic
After looking at Steve Well's database, I think 1959 is a more likely build year.
I was here, but just a babe. Pretty much like my condition now, vis-a-vis my knowledge of this machine:)

BDRetz

Aluminum
Nice looking lathe. I am using a Factorymation FMX TD200 VFD on my 1hp Heavy 10 and it has worked well for me. The model I am using did not come in an enclosure but I mounted it inside the cabinet base so it is protected. You might want to consider an enclosed model or plan to mount it in a box. They have 120v and 220v input models depending on your available power.

VFDs in general are not particularly friendly with GFCI outlets but I have heard that Automation Direct carries a line of VFDs that are. If that is a concern, I would call them and ask before buying.

Hope this helps.

Ben

BDRetz

Aluminum
I have used both 120v and 240v input VFDs and both worked well for 1hp and smaller motors. In the FMX line the 120v unit is physically larger than the 240v. That might matter for mounting purposes. For over 1hp I think you are stuck with 240v.

Ben

SLK001

Stainless
There's no plate there with "Flame Hardened Bed" on it. Do you think the "special" might mean something else?

What is the thing circled in the photo below? That's where a plate would be stating that the bed was hard. And the plate is gold lettering on a black background. Do you see flaking on your ways?

If the bed isn't hard, then the only way to know what is special (if it's not obvious) would be to send off for the build card from Grizzly.

I noticed that you don't have a tailstock. Do you have one, or is it missing?

attachment.php

Leslie Sapp

Plastic
No flaking, but definitely no plate or any sign there ever was one there.

It has a lever tailstock, we took it and the access panels off reduce some weight while we were moving it.

I tried to send for the build card, but Grizzly's site would not accept the order. I'll try call them on Monday and see if I can order one.